Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Software Development Engineer
Experience:  Software Development Engineer
94796889

I did an update last night and now the phone failed to start

Customer Question

I did an update last night and now the phone failed to start up. How can I start it up?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Brand new, four days old. Android turbo max.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: "The computer failed to get it started last night. It won't start up.
JA: Anything else you want the Android expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do I get past this failure to start up message?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Benjamin. Welcome to our site. I'm reviewing your question now and I'll reply with more details ASAP.

So you purchased a phone 4 days ago as a brand new phone and when it got an update last night it now won't turn on. Is that correct?

Can you provide me with the exact model of the phone? It should be on the paperwork that came with your phone box. I'm aware of a phone called a Turbo, Turbo2 Droid MAXX and Droid MAXX2, but not "turbo max" - can you verify the model number of the phone? Who makes it? Motorola, LG...

When you say it won't turn on, do you press the power button and nothing happens? Can you try powering the phone on while it is plugged into power?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The cell phone is a Droid Turbo 2 by Motorola. I paid $5 for an answer and also $28 to join. I won't pay more at this time until my phone is working.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't call because I don't have a phone. It won't start up and I don't have a house phone. Only computer.

I totally understand! I personally don't have any other phone than my cellphone either, so if it's not working, that's a problem!

I'm not asking for additional money - I'm guessing the system may have offered you a call, but you can just ignore that, it's considered a premium service and isn't needed, you and I can just chat here to work on the issues. Now, that issue is getting your phone working! Thanks for providing the info as to the model number.

Can you tell me what happens when you say "it won't turn on" - you press the power button and nothing happens, or does it power up with an error or a picture or something? I'm trying to make sure I understand your problem so I can provide a solution to get your phone working.

Okay, I would try the following:

1) Make sure you are plugged into power. Leave the device plugged in for 10-20 minutes and then try turning it on if it doesn't work right away and leave it plugged in while trying to turn it on.

2) Press and hold the Power AND volume down keys at the same time for 20 seconds. This will soft-reset the phone

3) Try turning the phone on in a dim room - I've seen it where people THOUGHT the phone was off but it was just super super dark.

If those steps didn't work, we could try a factory reset to make the device just like when you bought it, but at that point since you are saying you just purchased it 4 days ago, I'd suggest just swapping it out.

My apologies for not being able to provide a magic solution that always works if this didn't work. If it did, awesome! I am trying to give you accurate info. In either case, I'd greatly appreciate a positive review. If you still need help, just reply here and I'll help.