ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Today for some reason it seem to

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Today for some reason it seem to be rebooting every5 minutes. My cell phone number is(###) ###-####My name is***** also seems to be draining the battery. I charged it last night and took it off the charger at 100% at 5 A.M. and right now it is at 75%
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Less than a year
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It just started today. Not exactly sure what troubleshooting I can do. I am not real tech savy
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

This problem could be hardware or software related and will require some steps to troubleshoot.

Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

Step 1: Boot to Safe Mode

Booting the Samsung Galaxy S7 to safe mode will disable all third-party applications the owner installed on the phone leaving only the apps and services necessary for the phone to function well.

If you were able to boot to safe mode and the phone didn’t restart, there is a possibility that a third party app is causing the boot loop. However, to confirm this, you need to let the device run in safe mode for at least an hour and observe closely its functions or if it would reboot all by itself.

To boot the Galaxy S7 to safe mode, follow this:
Turn the device off completely.
Press and hold the Power button.
Once the Samsung Galaxy S7 logo appears on the screen, release the Power button.
As soon as you release the Power button, press and hold the Volume Down key.
Continue holding the Volume Down key until the phone has completed the reboot process.
If you can read ‘Safe Mode‘ at the bottom left corner of the screen, release the Volume Down key. Otherwise, repeat the process until you can boot the phone to Safe Mode.
If you were able to boot into Safe Mode and haven’t experienced the problem while in it, proceed to step 2. However, if the device still reboots even when in Safe Mode or if it fails to enter safe mode even if you did the steps right, proceed to steps 3 and 4 directly.

-----

Step 2: Disable Third Party Application

If you were able to boot the phone to Safe Mode and the problem didn’t happen again, there is a big possibility that a third-party app has gone rogue and is causing all the troubles. But the first thing you should do is to determine which app it is. There is no easy way to do it but recall which app you downloaded and installed recently. However, if you cannot recall which one, you need to disable every third-party app you have one-by-one starting with the ones you often use.

Disabling an app won’t delete your data, you’re simply preventing it from running on your system but it is as good as uninstalling it. The difference is you can enable it back and retain all your data and settings.

To disable an app on a Samsung Galaxy S7, follow this:

Go back to the Home screen, then tap the Menu key.
Tap Settings, then More tab.
Tap Application Manager.
Swipe to right once to choose All tab. (Other tabs are Downloaded and Running.)
Scroll up or down to look for the app you suspected of causing the boot loop.
Tap the Disable button.
If you were able to find the app that’s causing the boot loop, don’t uninstall it just yet but instead clear its cache and data and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn’t, then uninstall it.

In case the problem is not with the third-party apps, start looking into stock Samsung and Google apps. But to make things easier for you in this case, proceed to steps 3 and 4.

-----

Step 3: Wipe Cache Partition

After you’ve installed and uninstalled a lot of apps on your phone, lots of cached data may have already been stored in the cache partition and there is always a possibility of corruption. Once that happens, the phone may start acting weird and the only way to solve it is to wipe cache partition.

While this step may not have been so familiar as compared to the one that follows, it is very helpful in resolving Android problems that couldn’t be solved by simply doing the hard reset, although it’s not as hassling as the latter because personal data will be kept intact and the owner won’t have to set the phone up again.

Wiping cache partition will delete data stored by apps but don’t get me wrong, a new set of data will be cached once you start using an app. So, basically, you do this to replace the data cached on your phone. And to do this, follow the steps below:

Turn the phone off completely.
Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons.
Release the Power button when the phone vibrates but continue holding on to the Volume Up and Home buttons.
When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release both the Home and Volume Up buttons.
Using the Volume Down key, highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
Press the Power button to select the option.
The phone will automatically restart once cache data are wiped out.
If this step can’t resolve the problem, proceed to the last step.

-----

Step 4: Master / Hard Reset

This is the last resort simply because it will require more effort to do. What I mean is that you will need to backup all data you don’t want to lose along the process. Factory reset or hard reset will delete your personal settings, app data, contacts, messages, etc. In short, it will bring your phone back to its default settings. Here’s how you do a master reset using hardware keys:

Turn the phone off completely.
Using the Volume Down key, highlight ‘wipe data / factory reset.’
Press the Power button to select it.
Using the Volume Down button again, highlight ‘delete all user data.’
Press the Power key to select it.
Once the reset is complete, choose ‘Reboot system now.’
Press the Power button to restart the phone.

-----

Let me know if this works for you?

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Expert:  ITPeter replied 9 months ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.