Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

When I type I my password on my new kindle 8 it says that

Customer Question

when I type I my password ***** my new kindle 8 it says that there is an authenticating problem
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: fire HD 8, new
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just received it for Christmas . this is the first time I've tried to use it
JA: Anything else you want the eReader expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have another kindle fire but very old. Its working fine. On the new one how do I use a new password ***** do I use the password ***** I use on the old kindle?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Steve G. replied 7 months ago.

Hi. I'm Steve and I will be assisting you today. I've been here since 2005.

*** Please note that I cannot take a call right now*** - the site is sending you those prompts, not me. If you need phone support, I can opt out and another expert will help you.

Ok, let's see what we can do here. Now there is often confusion with Kindles as there are several passwords used for different aspects of the kindle's operation.

WiFi password: This gets you past your router (in your home) and connects the Kindle to the internet so you can go to the book store. This has nothing to do with Amazon. This password ***** have been created by whomever set up your WiFi router which could be your cable company or your neighbor's son or you yourself.

Amazon account email and password: This gets you into the store once you are on the internet and protects you account so that nobody can use your credit card to buy books. This account would have been chosen by you.

So...which password ***** you need?