Josh, Technician
Experience:  Android technician
50836188

I can get wi-fi on my kindle at my daughter's home, a recent

Customer Question

I can get wi-fi on my kindle at my daughter's home, a recent stay at a hotel, and on Amtrak but I can't get it at my home. What can I do?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Josh replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dorrine,

If you have a leather case on your Kindle; Please remove it before performing the steps below.

Please press and hold down the power button for 25-30 seconds until the Kindle restarts

If that does not work, then please respond back and let me know so I can continue to troubleshoot.

Expert:  Josh replied 10 months ago.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as 3 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Even though my cover was not leather, I took it off. I held the power button down as suggested and tried this tactic more than once. The Kindle did not start using this method. I can get into my kindle for the books, etc. but I cannot get on wi-fi in my own house. Is it my password ***** what, since I can use the wi-fi everywhere else
Expert:  Josh replied 10 months ago.

Are you 100% sure that you are using the correct Wi-Fi password?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess I am not making myself clear. For instance, when I am at a hotel it asks me for the hotel's user name and password--I put it in and my kindle works. At home, I see the lock and key and push connect. My kindle then tells me authentication failed and I don't have the opportunity to put a password ***** How can I find out if the password ***** has always worked before will still work if I don't get to put it in?
Expert:  Josh replied 10 months ago.

Which Kindle model do you have?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a Kindle Fire
Expert:  Josh replied 10 months ago.

If you open your Wi-Fi list, it will show your network. To the very right of your network, there should be an arrow. You can click on that then select FORGET NETWORK and it will remove the password ***** was saved from before.

Expert:  Josh replied 10 months ago.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did find the forget place and then it asked me to put in the password. I put in the wi-fi password ***** works with every thing else in our house and which is the one our cable company set up for use and still it reads authentication failed.
Expert:  Josh replied 10 months ago.

Let's try a factory reset then...

1. Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Settings.
  2. Tap Device Options, and then tap Reset to Factory Defaults.
  3. Tap Reset to confirm.
Expert:  Josh replied 10 months ago.