Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

I have a new Samsung Galaxy J700. It was working fine, until

Customer Question
Hi. I have a new...
Hi. I have a new Samsung Galaxy J700. It was working fine, until earlier today when I tried to connect to Google Play, then the internet, but all it did was give me a blank screen with the following message: "Error retrieving information from server. [RH-01], and then a button to click that says "Retry", which only brings up the same exact message. Can you please help me with my new smartphone? Thank you so much. Debbie
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Android Devices
8/5/2016
Android Device Expert: GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Hi there Rob! My name is*****'m sorry that you are having this problem. It would be my pleasure to help you with this. Have you installed any rom upgrades or tried to "jailbreak" the phone? I ask because this a common cause of that error. If If that's not the case (and you are sure you have the correct/compatible GApps installed), try the following:

1. Open the "Google Play" app and press the home button to return
  2. Go to Settings → Applications → Manage Applications
  3. Select the "ALL" tab, Search for "Google Play Store" and press it to open.
  4. Press "Clear cache"
  5. Press "Force stop"
  6. Return to Settings → Applications → Manage Applications
  7. Press "Google Services Framework"
  8. Press "Clear Data"
  9. Press "Force Stop"
  10. Start "Google Play Store" and it should give an error
  11. Reboot. Once your device has restarted Google Play Store should work. Wait a minute or too if it doesn't.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If you need clarification on any of the steps or have additional questions I am happy to assist. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.

When your problem has been solved, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it!. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

This should help if a corrupt cache is the cause of your problems (a corrupt cache might lead to strange error messages, amongst others). If it doesn't help, you might try the same steps but include "Clear Data" for the playstore app. If it still doesn't work. you may want to try resetting the phone to factory defaults. Here's how to do that:

1. From the Home Screen go to Menu and then to Settings.
  2. Tap Backup & Reset and then Factory Data Reset.
  3. In the next step choose Reset device.
  4. To confirm your choice select Erase everything.

If you still have the same problem after a factory reset, you may need to exchange the phone.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi GeekGal,
Sorry, but the error comes up after I click on the Google Play app. And yes, I am connected to the internet, and I just transferred apps from my previous phone, which was an Android Kitkat, and it was never "rooted" and was working, and didn't need to be troubleshooted. So, my Google Play app is where the message comes from. So, for some reason, I all of a sudden, can't get past the error to proceed. What should I do now? Thank you. And I'm sorry, but I should tell you that I didn't realize the battery was out, so I needed to put it up to charge, for now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, if I must factory reset, I am returning the phone.

I understand. Please try following steps 2 through 11, without opening the Google Play App.

1. Go to Settings → Applications → Manage Applications
  2. Select the "ALL" tab, Search for "Google Play Store" and press it to open.
  3. Press "Clear cache"
  4. Press "Force stop"
  5. Return to Settings → Applications → Manage Applications
  6. Press "Google Services Framework"
  7. Press "Clear Data"
  8. Press "Force Stop"
  9. Start "Google Play Store" and it should give an error
  10. Reboot. Once your device has restarted Google Play Store should work.

Please let me know the results. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! Sounds much better than returning the phone! Lol! Let's hope it works. I will try this after ~10 minutes, as the phone is on charger and is totally dead. Thank you and yes, I will certainly let you know if this works! I'm hoping it is! lol! catlady06096
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, I meant, I'm hoping it will.

Keep me posted! Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to know why I was charged three times, and your answer was not the correct one, so I am calling my credit card company and disputing these charges!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not a member of Just answer, either!

Rob, I am sorry that my instructions did not work for you. You shoudl have kept me posted as I requested so I could continue troubleshooting with you.

Regarding your billing issues, please contact Customer Service via email at***@******.*** or call them at 1-***-***-****. As an independent contractor I don't have access to billing information.

Have a nice day!

GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech