Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

Dropped my new Galaxy S 5 active into lake. Dried days in

Customer Question
Dropped my new Galaxy S...
Dropped my new Galaxy S 5 active into lake. Dried for 4 days in rice. It now comes on, charges everything except no service. Have wifi, data, no calls no messages. Anything I can do? Husband just got it for me for my birthday.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Samsung Galaxy S 5 Active model: SM-G870A UD
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just what I have heard about taking apart and putting in rice
JA: The Android expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Android Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Android Devices
7/6/2016
Android Device Expert: GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

It's a little late for some of this advice, but I will write it all out anyway so you'll have it handy if you should have this problem again. The fact that everything is working except for the cell service is a good sign. it is likely that if you try these additional steps, in another day or two that will begin to work as well. If it does not, it's a good idea to contact your carrier. Even if you didn't purchase insurance many carriers will allow you to exchange the damaged phone for a reconditioned phone of the same model at a greatly reduced price, much less than it would cost to purchase a new phone. Hopefully though that won't be necessary

WHAT TO DO WITH A WET CELL PHONE

Turn off Your Phone! Don't just turn off the screen. Power it down completely. Unplug it if it's in the charger (and do not plug it back in.) Hold down the power button until it is off, and if possible, open the case and remove the battery. Do this immediately.

Generally, phones don't die just because of water.They die because the water causes a short in the wiring. In order for that to happen, you need to have power. If you can power down the phone and dry it out within 48 hours of water exposure, chances are good that your phone will live to see another day.

If you have a case on your phone, remove it at this time. You want to have as much of your phone exposed to air as possible.

The worst-case scenario is if you have a phone that isn't designed for easy battery replacements( like an iphone) that won't turn off when you try to power it down. I had that happen once and opened the case with specialized tools to remove the battery. Without those tools, the best option would be to lay the phone flat and hope the battery drains before anything shorts.

If you dropped it in the ocean, wash it. Salt water will corrode the interior. Same if you dropped it in soup or other materials with particles. Or a dirty toilet bowl. Yes, wash it off in a stream of clean water. Do not dunk it in a bowl or sink of water. If there's water inside your phone, you don't want to make it worse by letting it run in new places.

Most people will tell you to put your phone in a bag of rice. However, Rice is not a drying agent. Do not use rice. Instead, use actual drying agents, such as Damp Rid (available in grocery stores) or silica gel (the "do not eat" packets you find in vitamin bottles).

Gently pat your phone down with a towel, and then place it on some paper towels. Place the phone somewhere where it won't' be disturbed. If possible, place the phone and paper towels in a container with Damp Rid or silica gel packets. (Not loose powder - you don't want particles in your phone) You probably have time to run to the grocery store to buy some if you don't have any on hand.

Now you wait. Give your phone at least 48 hours to dry. Longer if you can. You may want to balance your phone upright and tilt it, so the USB port aims down after about 24 hours to make sure any remaining moisture drains downward and out of your phone. Avoid jostling or shaking.

Please let me know how this works for you. If you need clarification on any of the steps or have additional questions I am happy to assist. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.

When your problem has been resolved, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it!. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Hi there! It's Alison. I'm just following up to see if you still need help. If so please let me know. If my suggestions helped you to resolve issue, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it!. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. IF you still need help let me know so I can continue to work with you or "opt out" so another expert can help. Just let me know you're preference. Either way, have a great weekend!

GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech