Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

My galaxy note 5 and lg tablet are not recognized by my laptop.

Customer Question

my galaxy note 5 and lg tablet are not recognized by my laptop. I have tried 3 different cables and none of them work.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.Try all the USB ports. USB ports on a computer are ideally all created equal, but in fact often differ in performance, esp. those at a distance from the others e.g. on the other side of the computer, because they run off different particular circuitry. If there is any chance that the USB ports are dirty or dusty, use an old (but, clean and dry both) toothbrush to scrub them out for at least 10 seconds each. This makes sure that all 4 of the terminals are cleaned. After that... you may have a laptop with some defect, either in all the USB ports, or in the software. I'll have to ask some questions to tell what the problem might be:1. is it an Apple or a Windows laptop?2. what version of Windows (or, of MAC OS X) is on it?3. do you hear the double-klunk-klunk sound of USB device recognition, when you connect either Note 5 or tablet to the computer? Let me know, and I will advise you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 3 usb ports on my laptop which is a HP Envy with Windows 8. None of them work. I have a mouse attached to one of the usb ports and it works fine and when I attach my Seagate external drive it detects that as well. I do hear the double klunk klunk sound when I attach either the phone or the tablet but the laptop won't recognize them.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
What Samsung driver (and, sourced from what website - Samsung's I hope?) did you try installing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did download and install the driver directly from Samsung's website.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Go toDevice Manageron your computer. See what the USB Controllers or Universal Serial Bus Controllers or USB devices branch looks like. Is anything there marked with an X, or a ?, or otherwise abnormal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under USB controllers there are 6 items. I clicked on all of them and it says the devices are all working properly
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Good. The other devices work OK, so your USB ports are OK. What driver did you get from Samsung's site?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whatever driver they told me I needed. I entered my phone model number and downloaded the driver that came up.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
What mode was the phone in when you connected it? was it turned On, or Off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The phone was on.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Try connecting it when it is turned On, then. That might just make the little bit of difference in this difficulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried it on, and off. I've restarted my laptop and the phone and tablet. Still nothing shows up.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear that. I honestly do not know what could be wrong. Have you tried a different computer? it's all that's left.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried it on my work laptop and it isn't being recognized. Since you were unable to help me, can I get my money back?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
One more thing to try - if you have the patience - is Samsung SideSync. Supposedly it works in some cases where a Samsung phone or tablet is not recognized. (Another person suggested using a USB 2 cable instead of a USB 3 cable... I'm not sure this is even meaningful. But it's mentioned by one person. This problem certainly has a lot of people posting about it, so your experience is not at all unique.)
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
For all issues of billing, payment, subscription terms and status, etc., I must refer you toCustomer Support at JustAnswer.com, which may be contacted through:http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-usThey will no doubt address your concern, if you contact them, with reasonable promptness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the difference between a USB 2 and usb 3 cable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And how can I tell the difference
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If the label doesn't tell, then you can't, really. I think that was a spurious indication by a person who got their Samsung connection working by changing cables, that happened to be labeled.Some say enabling USB debugging mode can help, but I doubt it. It could be tried, though. As well as the Samsung SideSync software mentioned previously (which contains a USB driver.) Incidentally: Are all the ports on your computer USB 3 ports? (they usually have a blue plastic rectangle inside them, if they are USB 3.) If so, they may not be compatible with your Samsung equipment, possibly. Some equipment may not work well with USB 3 for a USB connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I contacted you i tried the usb debugging so it didn't work. I'm not at home so I can't check to see if my laptop has usb 3 ports
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. If you can quote your laptop's maker and model # ***** I can look that point up for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not home but it's a HP Envy which I've had for a little over a year.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If it's recent - if new when you bought it a year ago - it may well have USB 3 ports, some at least. Do you know the model #? if not, waiting until you're home is fine. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No idea what the model is. I'll have an answer tonight once I get home.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My usb ports do not have the blue plastic surrounding them
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
How about within them? often it's just the rectangular inner piece that is colored blue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing blue
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then I'm out of ideas, and with regrets, I have Opted Out of the case, opening it to other Experts in this category.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeDo you still require assistance on this? Please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do. Russell ran out of suggestions and my laptop still does not detect my phone when I plug it in.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksWhich version of windows is on the laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksWith the device connected, press the windows key + E on the keyboardThen click on This PCTell me please the devices and drives listed on the right when you click on it please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not at home right now so I will have to get back to you this evening.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows C:, Recovery D:,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksOn the note, plug it into the computer, then on the note go to settings, applications manager.Swipe to the list all and select Google Services FrameworkPress it and press clear dataTell me if when you do this, the laptop then recognizes it please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not option to clear data. The 2 options available are disable and force stop. Which should I use?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Tap on storage and you should then see it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleared data and still phone does not show up
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you connect it to another computer, does it show up on that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to take it to work and see if shows up there. It did not the other day.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If it does not, then you will need to reset it.To do that, remove all data from the device (as this process clears all data)Then go to Settings, Backup & Reset, Factory Reset.Let this complete, set it up again and it should then function.Let me know how it goes please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will I be able to remove and transfer data if it won't connect to the computer?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You can use an app such as dropbox to upload it to an online account in order to save it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer at work doesn't detect it either. Would sidesync work?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then the reset is needed.Sidesync will work if they are both on the same network, and is another way to get the transfer done, or via dropbox
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try side sync tonight.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks