Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I am having problems opening my Samsung/Android phone and am

Customer Question

I am having problems opening my Samsung/Android phone and am told it is a Google problem. I have a Google email address but no password,etc. I really need to talk to a human!
Category: Android Devices
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. (I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.) I think you need to go to a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, on a computer, and do the password ***** for the Google account, first of all.(This requires that you have another email account, that you *do* have access to, that the email with recovery or password ***** information in it, may be sent to, when you go through the Google password ***** procedure.) Then with the Google account associated with the phone in hand, you enter a wrong password ***** the phone, rapidly and repeatedly, 10 times in quick succession. At which point - watch for it! - you will be prompted to access the phone through the Google account instead... enter your Google username and password ***** and you should have access to the phone. I realize this may sound complicated (though it isn't.) If you really require to be stepped through it by phone, then I may be unable to help you, but having indicated the way to the solution, I can Opt Out and open this case to someone who will take up your phone call request. Let me know if that is what you would prefer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have successfully changed my Google password, but I have attempted to access my cellphone so many times, using my proper cellphone password, which does not seem to work anymore, that my phone says I only have 3 attempts remaining..
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
What Galaxy model of phone do you have? if it is indeed a Galaxy. Do you have anything valuable to you stored on the phone? pictures, etc.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Galaxy 6, I believe and I have a lot of emails, photos, texts in it. I see a note about talking to someone for $20, is that you?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time. I cannot recommend any course of action from here on... only 3 attempts remaining makes me pause.Are you sure the prompt is not for your phone's PUK code? rather than your password. Look carefully at it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a PUK code?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
It relates to your SIM card. The prompt for it sometimes comes up in certain circumstances.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if this helps or not, but the phone is telling me that if I unsuccessfully attempt to access the phone 2 more times the only way it can thereafter be opened is by the manufacturer. On the other hand Verizon,my carrier and the entity that sold me the phone, is saying just wait for 24 to 48 hours and try again. The problem with that is that the password ***** unlock and open the phone doesn't seem to be working. I have triple checked that I am using the correct code, so even if I wait, I am going to have the same problem.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Try the password ***** times, after 48 hours (i.e. 2 full days) have passed, leaving the phone alone in the meantime. At the 10th time, it should prompt for your Google username and password... that way you should be able to get into it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I will give that a shot. One guy told me that the reset timetable for my phone was only 24 hours, so should I try then, or is it just smarter to wait the 48? Is there any way I can find out what the true reset time is?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Smarter to wait the 48. It makes surer of the result. And some phones may vary compared to others, in that respect, with age, version, etc. What maker and model is your phone? for that phone I might be able to find a reset time listed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Right... you already said it was a Galaxy 6. I'll look that up for you...
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
...I haven't found hard information about unlock intervals. Wait 48 hours to be quite sure, that your phone is not erased nor reset.But, to unlock your Galaxy, you could go to this web page: https://findmymobile.samsung.com and use your Google account login to unlock your phone there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just found the case the phone came in! The phone is an S 6, if that makes a difference and I have 4 separate documents that came in the package: Product Safety&Warranty info; Get To know Your Phone;Global Support Info, and Important Consumer info.Would any of those be useful? Also, the case has a number on it that I presume is the phone's serial number.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update. Being an S6 not just a 6, makes a slight difference and may prove valuable in the future in my advising you, so it's good that you found that information. The rest of what you found, you should still save, but for this purpose it is non-essential.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I guess I will just wait 48 hours. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. Either we will communicate again by then (this case ought not to be closed by then...), or if you are done with this case, please rate my answer now. Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's keep the case open.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That's fine. 48 hours later will be a good time to hear from you again. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I didn’t get back to you. For various reasons I have not been able to follow your latest instructions, and, therefore my phone is still locked. I should be able to get back to my phone issues today, and s soon as I am able to open my phone using your instructions, I will send in my rating so that you can get paid.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That's fine. I understand being busy. Get back to me at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russell, unfortunately your "fix" didn't work. At the end of 48 hours, the phone did not reset to allow me to try 10 attempts to use my old password, followed by a "Google reset". When I opened the phone it told me that I had only 3 attempts, before a "factory reset" would be my only option, which reset would wipe out everything in my phone that had not been backed up!In your defense, when I went to both Verizon and, at Verizon's suggestion, Best Buy, no one had any quick or easy fixes. I was informed by at least one Verizon employee that the "fix" that you had proposed had not worked for my kind of phone almost one year, but others did suggest that I do what you said, until I showed them the phone and they saw directly what I was talking about.Short and sweet, a recent Samsung software upgrade wiped out my screen access password ***** some kind of factory reset was the only option. Fortunately for me, when Verizon checked the cloud, virtually all of my stuff was there!Still the process was incredibly time consuming! I lost the practical use of my phone for a week and had to spend well in excess of 10 hours in meetings, on line, and waiting in order to get the use of my phone back.Apparently I am not the only guy with this problem, but so far it hasn't been a landslide.So....what should I do as far as rating your service? I will be asking for my money back, and suspect that in order to get it, I will have to go through all the stuff I talked about above.I have no desire to hurt you however, so is it better if I don't rate you at all rather than me sending in a bad review?