Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

I am considering acquiring the FZ-E1 tough tablet. It is

Customer Question

I am considering acquiring the FZ-E1 tough tablet. It is available voice/ data my cellular provider needs unlock code to use AT&T Verizon micro sim. Is this something you help with?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the wait. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

If the device is SIM locked to a carrier, then that carrier needs to give you the unlock code. If you are buying this used and it is SIM locked, I would strongly recommend against it. If you buy it used, you won't be able to get it unlocked.

Are you sure this is a SIM lock issue and not a carrier compatibility issue? You mention Verizon and AT&T, and those carriers use two different types of networks - one uses GSM and the other CDMA. The networks are not compatible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, this is not an Android system nor is this unit used. It is the windows 8.1 Panasonic toughpad model FZ-E1. Telus provider in my province has transitioned from CDMA to 4G LTE. The unit has two sim ports available. My question is generated for the insurance the telus sim card available will be plug and play. Will this tablet work or will there be an issue?

I wasn't suggesting that it was Android. Just that if it is locked to a carrier, only that carrier can unlock it. But this model is generally sold unlocked or SIM free... So if you are buying new, it won't be a problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Telus technical support says problem, Panasonic says no problem. Wisdom says use many counselors. Please explain the locked to a carrier situation. Unit locks once you insert a sim card from either carrier? Telus doesn't care who the port advertises compatibility with? The vendor says one port for Verizon and one enabled for AT&T.

I can't say why Telus would say it's a problem. I've never seen a tablet of any kind locked to multiple carriers. I think that the reason they mention it that way in the specs is because that covers both types of networks. This device has both network technologies in it so that it can be used with gsm or cdma. Telus should care which one it advertises compatibility with, but since in this case, it's both, it won't matter.

As far as locking to a carrier - that is something that is done to US models when they are sold through a carrier because they are often subsidised by that carrier. It's usually temporary, until the phone is paid off or the contract expires. It will not happen to a SIM free version - which most of the rest of the world is accustomed to.