Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

I am answering Pete: get the following error message

Customer Question
exactly : Couldn't finish Couldn't open connection...
I am answering Pete: get the following error message exactly :
Couldn't finish
Couldn't open connection to server
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Android Devices
1/16/2016
Android Device Expert: Michael Hannigan, Developer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question if you still need assistance.

What are you attempting to do when you get this error?

If you are setting up an email account, this usually means that you haven't entered the server name correctly. Double check the server name to make absolutely certain that it is the same as what was provided to you buy the ISP. If it is a common ISP, let me know what the name of it is, and I can verify the settings for you.

Also, if you are trying to connect to Port 25 from a home network, you probably won't be able to. You will have to use the alternate port that the provider gives.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since I first contacted you (and Several Technicians later) I have wanted to obtain a password ***** that I could get my e-mail.
It had worked fine and then suddenly I had no Password. I am listed as the primary person, my wife is also listed with a different e-mail address. Her e-mail works fine. I have tried to delete my account to start over, but it won't allow that. The last response from me is the one I get when I try to change the password. Les
Android Device Expert: Michael Hannigan, Developer replied 1 year ago

The error that you are getting indicates that the email server name or port number is ***** - it isn't getting as far as checking your password. According to the message, it cannot contact the server at all.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My User name is***@******.***, My Authentication is ????, Server is IMAP @ AOL.COM, Security Type SSL/TLS, Port 993
Les

The server should be imap.aol.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is
I hit the caps button by mistake
Sorry, Les
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am leaving now for a Dinner that has been ordered.
Be back by 6pm
es

You should also have the SMTP settings

Outgoing server: smtp.aol.com
Port: 587

The incoming settings you have are correct.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have outgoing server cat smtp.aol.com.
Port is 465, when I change to 587 I get a real long error message.
Do you need to know what it says?
Les

What I would do is remove the account from your email client, then add the account back. This will automatically detect the correct email settings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried this before and it would not allow me to remove client with a message calling it the main account(or something like that)

Then try adding the account first and then deleting the original one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also tried that and it wouldn't allow the same e-mail address twice
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer