Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

I JUST GO MY PAPERWHITE, PLUGGED IT IN AND EVERYTHING IS IN

Customer Question

I JUST GO MY PAPERWHITE , PLUGGED IT IN AND EVERYTHING IS IN CHINESE AND IT WON'T ACCEPT MY WIFI,***@******.*** what can you do or what can i do?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Are you sure you are using correct WiFi password ? The WiFi password ***** ***** from your email or other password.

Do you have any computer there connected to your WiFi network ? If so, we can get and verify the correct password ***** that computer. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a comp. on my wifi, the code could be the same as my old kindle, try it and see,please.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What version of Windows are you using on that computer ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything is in chinese on the paperweight, is that pa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
perwhite, is that [art of the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do not use a desktop, it is an apple and i don't think it used windows
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, probably. We can try to change the language first and then we can fix WiFi. Since you don't know the language it will be a little difficult to change the language. But we can do this by doing the steps in exact order. There are two version of Paperwhite, so one the two method following below will work.

Method 1 :

1. Tap the top part and tap the 3 lines button (RIGHT SIDE).
  2. On the list, tap Settings (the 5th Option or 2nd to last option).
  3. Once here, tap Device Options (4th option).
  4. Tap the Language (5th option) on the next page.
  5. Here is the Language. 1st Option is to change Language option. Select your English language on the list. Your Kindle will
  6. change to your language after this.

Method 2 :

Tap the Menu icon (three Bars in Upper right). Tap the 2nd-to-last item on the menu (6th from the top if you have the offers, 5th from the top if you don't). Tap the 4th item. Tap the last (5th) item. Tap the 1st item.

If that didn't work too, then lets reset your Kindle and setup it again. Resetting will clear everything from it, but just re-register it with your Amazon account and you will be able to redownload all your books back to it. Follow the steps below;

1. Tap the top part and tap the 3 lines button (three horizontal lines) on the right side.
  2. On the list, tap Settings (the 2nd to last option).
  3. Once here, tap Reset Device (the 4th option FROM THE BOTTOM UP).
  4. Confirm to reset. (If you tap the wrong choice, use another choice to reset)
  5. This will reset it. Then setup it with correct language.

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i attempted the first selection, it is now showing Fredadella 1 but still in chinese
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Can you attempt to reset it ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no three line on right side
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Can you send me the screenshot of your Kindle screen ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can not get a device, etc. i do not know how to send a screenshot, i am 81 and inept at this
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The Kindle is probably not setup at all that is why it is not showing the 3 limes at top.

First we can can soft-reset the Kindle and see if it works or not. Press and hold down (or slide) the Power button for 20 seconds and this will reset the Kindle. Then let me know to what screen does it boot into.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the top says wifi, beneath this is 2 rows of chinese, then an outlined box with wifichinese underlined with the x at the right corner. then a blank space and aline with two divided spaces with chinese in them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now the space thatt was blank has three bars and the third bar is divided into 3 spaces
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

When you hold down the Power button for 20 seconds, did it restart automatically ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it changed but i do not think it restarted auto.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Try hold down the Power button for 20 seconds and then release. Then let me know once you did that and we can do this step by step

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now the face is the kindles logo and is reloading at a bar at the bottom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now having reloaded there is a symbol bar at top with various things like a shopping cart, then three boxes with kindles etc. in chinese and the logo at the bottom with chinese on the left
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You someshow selected the wrong language when you setup it for first time. It is not fully setup yet, that is why you are not setting the options to change the language. We have to setup it first and then we can change the language. Let it complete and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when it first come on it said it was set up in english and the english bar was darkened.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the screen is still the same
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You probably touched chinese. Do you now see the three lines at top right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
little short ones
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Tap it. Now try Method 1 or 2 to change the language.

Method 1 :

6. change to your language after this.

Method 2 :

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got the intel. prop. notice should i now go back to three bars and tap
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Then try the second method.

If that didn't work, then we can reset the device. Follow the steps below to do that.

1. Tap the 3 lines button on the right side.

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i still get the bars on the rightthere are 8 , i tried no. 5 no luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 2nd bar is pale and so are the 6,7 and 8. so which one to tap/
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Try the reset then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just get the original empty box. would it be better to do this over the phone or should i just send the paperweight back?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It is asking you to connect to WiFi network. Do you see the name of your WiFI network there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a small box with a bar in chinese and then it says wifi mac whit a bunch of numbers and chinese
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

See this video from 5:30 onwards --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qoxlpUUo0o

The menu is similar, so you can follow the steps in the video. Let me know.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Make sure you are using correct WiFi password. Verify the correct WiFi password ***** your Mac. Refer this article --> http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/05/18/how-to-find-a-wi-fi-password-on-mac/

If it still not working, then can I connect remotely to your Mac, so you can show me the Kindle screen on the camera of your Mac ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

How is it going Faye ?