Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Phone turns on and off by itself

Customer Question

phone turns on and off by itself
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the phone is turning Off and On at irregular intervals, then it isn't a setting, but rather a dirty or a loose connection (or a power button that is almost stuck down.)

Check the battery terminals - if they aren't perfectly clean and shiny, rub them with a clean dry soft cloth.

How old is your phone? measured from the date of original purpose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This phone about 1 year old, company said google is the problem. We have a loaner phone for now, someone I know said a tech took google + app off his phone and it started working fine, I tried but didn't work. Store tech tried factory reset still not working.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If it is a little less than 1 year since the purchase date, it sounds to me as if the 'company' might be stalling for time, so as not to have to repair it under warranty. (The warranty will expire at 1 year from purchase date.)

So the important question at this point is, when was the purchase date? is it over a year ago already, or under a year ago?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were told to give them 45 days to correct problem from google. We are still in warranty time and not the only one with this problem, I guess I was hoping somebody would have dealt with this before and found a fix.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

45 days to fix a Google problem? that distinctly sounds like a stalling for time, to me.

Did they give you *any* indication as to why the Google or Google + app would cause the phone to shut Off ? that sounds frankly quite unlikely.

Have you ever seen the phone's screen at the time when it shuts itself Off? if so, was there any indication of significance on the screen at the time when it shut Off? any message, etc. ?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Also, what maker and model # ***** ***** phone in question, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LG model LS620, message reads Hands free activation, contacting network and emergency call just before it reboots itself over and over.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That suggests (from the rather miscellaneous, and completely Google-unrelated messages) that you may have a hacked phone, and this may be a symptom of malicious interference.

Since your phone has the Android OS on it, then if that OS version is not sufficiently updated, then it may contain a significant 'security hole' that allows almost anyone to gain access and control over your phone.

To test as to that security hole, download and use this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zimperium.stagefrightdetector

to tell whether there is such a security hole in your phone's Android operating system.

To avoid the problem in the first place, not just using the Stagefright detector, but also completely updating your Android OS ab initio when you first start using it, is a good idea.

(Some older versions of Android OS cannot be patched, by merely updating that version... but a higher version, if it can run on the older Android OS -compatible phone, can cure that problem.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem with that is it only stays on for about 15 seconds at a time.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, then. Try backing up data off of it onto a computer. Then try a hard reset, which will wipe the software back to a default state (but will erase all data of yours on the phone.)

If the problem continued after such a procedure, then you would have a provably defective phone in point of hardware, and could return it to LG under warranty for repairs.

Note, that you have to make sure the phone is charged up fully.

Also, it might help keep the phone going for a longer period, if its networking was turned Off, both 2G/3G/4G data service, and WiFi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your getting over my head but is a hard reset and a factory reset the same?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they both erase all individual data and configurations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try that and no luck.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

At what point did a hard reset fail? or did the hard reset work, but the phone continued with the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tech tried it 3 weeks ago and I just tried it myself. I have enough time to get to settings and to factory reset. I am not hooked up to internet because of loaner phone, doe that make a differance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed that emails and text are still there
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. You got to Factory Reset. Then what?

And, how old is the phone, again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hit the button and it shut itself off and back on, 1 Year
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, after you executed the Erase Data and Factory Reset option, and after it shut Off and turned back On, what did it do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same thing
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to say that it sounds like a hopeless case. If it shuts off within 1/2 minute after being turned On, it probably doesn't have *any* kind of Google Plus problem... though I have been wrong before, I must state that I really don't think that is the problem at all. It sounds like a major hardware malfunction, if an "Erase Data & Factory Reset" operation did not affect it at all.

It needs repair. You should submit it to LG for such repairs before the 1-year warranty runs out, having done everything else reasonable. Do so through

https://www.lg.com/us/support/repair-service/schedule-repair

Since I think that completes the case, I'd like to ask that you rate my Answer, please, so that this case may be closed. Thanks - and, good luck!