Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I cannot get past the archos logo on my archos 97 titanium

Customer Question

I cannot get past the archos logo on my archos 97 titanium hd tablet. I try to email archos support but it wont recognize the serial number and I can get no further. I have tried pinhole reset and no success. I did reset it successfully once with exact instructions but cant locate them. I have tried volume up down and in between to try to get to settings screen but im just winging it. I need exact timing and istructions. Can u help? Its less than a year old but Im about to order a new one if I cant do this. Thanks.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If it is still less than a year from purchase date, phoning Archos and putting in a failed-within-warranty claim on it, for free-of-charge repair, would be a good fallback to go to if all else fails. Archos' Customer Service phone # ***** *****(###) ###-####

A Factory Reset on this tablet might be tried. It does wipe all data off the tablet, be warned, so I have to honestly ask: would you want to try that?

If so, I will give you instructions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to do factory reset. I cannot get to screen that allows it without very specific instructions. I have tried everything recommended in blogs. I did it successfully several months ago and now cant duplicate procedure. It is stuck on logo. That phone number just says my call is not allowed. Im ready to trash it.

To Factory Reset or Hard Reset your Archos:

- From a Power-Off state, hold down the Volume Down (or Volume - ) button, and while holding it...

- ....Press and release the Power button while continuing to hold down the Volume Down button... until the tablet restarts and shows the Android logo and a bit past that, then release the Volume Down button.

- you should, after a minute or so, see the choices:

Fastboot Recovery Clear Storage SIMLock

and use Volume Down button to select Clear Storage

Then press the Power button to activate that choice... when prompted as to whether to delete data, or if you see a YES and NO choice, choose YES.

If that fails to help but you did see the Clear Storage option, try it again, only select Recovery this time, and see if there's a Wipe Data And Factory Reset option there, and choose it instead.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After following ur directions and releasing -volume, a horizontal green robot with a red triangle with explanation point came on. After a minute, it returned to the Archos logo and stalled there again.

"After following ur directions and releasing -Volume"

- do you mean, as to my instructions to

until the tablet restarts and shows the Android logo and a bit past that, then release the Volume Down button.

? then the hard reset is not a cure for the problem. Android OS and/or the phone's hardware, appears to be defective, 'broken', etc.

How old is the phone in question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im at a dead end. I cannot get thru to cus serv on phone nor can I email. I did not get a receipt with order and the warranty will not recognize credit card or paypal receipt. Still stuck. Is it now garbage since cannot reset?

I'm not sure. In order to hold out what hope there might be, and since another Expert might have the suggestion you really need (which I confess I do not have), I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category, at no extra charge to you.

As for whether it is garbage or not... it could still be repaired by the manufacturer, I would presume. That might be 'at cost', or not.

As for Archos not responding to their number... try this?:

http://www.archos.com/us/support/support_tech/contact_support.html

or follow advice on this page, perhaps it might be useful, I don't know:

https://www.contacthelp.com/Archos/customer-service

Some customer service and/or Tech Support departments are harder to get through to than others. You may have to try again, to get your warranty rights with this co. I'd like to wish you good luck... and feel free to update me on any progress or problems I might advise you further on, as things go on.