Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and all of a sudden I have an x

Customer Question

I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and all of a sudden I have an x next to my wifi symbol which does not have an x but I now cannot get wifi. I have rebooted, shut off. Went to another router somewhere else and it still did not work. What else should I do
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle and connect.
Let me know the results please
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I still have the x
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, press on it and does it allow to you forget it or connect to it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Press on what?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
the network name in your list of networks.
So when you go to settings, wifi and you see the networks, press on yours please and tap either forget, or connect.
Tell me what then happens please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pressed forget, then reconnected. It did not work
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
What is the make and model of your wifi router?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am at work and using their router - I do not know what it is. However I did all of this at home and I have a cablevision router and will have to check that but both have not worked
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if they both did not work, it is the Kindle then.
we will have to reset it.
this will remove all data and return it to new, but once you have registered it again you will be able download your content.
To do this
Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Settings.
Tap Device Options, and then tap Reset to Factory Defaults.
Tap Reset to confirm.
Then set up the Kindle again and tell me please if it now connects.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was told with my last Kindle that I would be able to retrieve everything and was not! I am very leary of doing what you are asking. I had to send my last kindle back and lost everything.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Everything is linked to your amazon account, so even if you lose this Kindle, when you register the next one with the SAME account you are using for this one, all your books are available.
Sounds like you made a new account with this one, only reason you would lose anything.
You have to do this reset though, to remove the firmware as the issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its not the books, its the games, especially Township which can add up to quite a bit when doing it for quite awhile. You don't get that back. Is this the only way this x will go away?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Those you will lose and will need to reinstall.
This is the only way, it is either the firmware or the wifi antenna that has faulted and we need to redo the firmware to confirm this sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay I understand - I will start to do what you said
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is saying that it is unable to connect.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you confirm your using the correct password ***** as this is the most common cause for this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The network itself is saying that I am connected, but when I re-registered and went through the steps the last thing it said is it is unable to connect. I also do not see the symbol that is usually next to the wifi symbol which has lines on it
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, restart the kindle by holding the power down until its off, then powering it on.
and tell me what then happens please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
same thing
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Do you have another network there you can connect to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no I guess I'll have to wait until I get home and try there. I don't know what else to do. This is the second time I am having a problem with Kindle and am very unhappy
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, generally they are pretty good so looks like you had bad luck sorry,
Unless its a bad coincidence and this network has an issue for your Kindle, which I doubt, the wifi antenna will have faulted which explains the inital problem and this. You will know this if you get the same problem at home and then you would need to have the Kindle replaced sorry.
I know its not nice, but its the reality of the situation.
If it connects at home, then where you are now, they need to restart the wifi router by removing the power to it then connecting it again.
You will only know this once you try to connect at home.
I have marked this question to never close, so any issues, feel free to let me know here, this is no problem.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome