Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

I am using the galaxy II phone (I think) and I can no longer

Customer Question
connect to my e-mail server...
I am using the galaxy II phone (I think) and I can no longer connect to my e-mail server. The account is synced up with the phone and syncing is turned on, but the phone will not send or receive e-mails. It is connected to the internet. As a last resort I went to delete and re-add the account. The account is deleted, but I can't re-add it. It will say "In progress" for a few seconds before saying "error, connection failed." This is a hotmail account.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Android Devices
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/22/2015
Android Device Expert: Viet - Android Tech, Technician replied 2 years ago
Viet - Android Tech
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. Is the Internet still currently working fine on the phone?How did you try to re-add the account? What option did you select during adding?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Internet is still working. I tried to add the account the traditional way, just by clicking on add account in the app.
After tapping on Add account, what are the options you see before entering your hotmail information? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
It doesn't get that far, it says in progress for a few seconds then it says connection failed.
Thank you. Can you press and hold the Power On/Off button on the phone, then select the Restart option, then see if you can add email again.If that does not work, can you go to Play Store, then type / search for microsoft outlook then install the Microsoft Outlook app, then use it for hotmail email.When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you,
I've restarted the phone a few times already, it still doesn't connect. I don't have the play app and can't seem to get it without signing up for a gmail account, which I don't really want right now. I'll try other options first, thanks.
I'm sorry. I will continue to help. Do you mean you do not see the Play Store app icon (or Market app icon) in the list of all your app icons?- When you tap on the Add account option, does it ask you to enter your email information right away? Does it have the option Manual setup option or something similar? If yes, after entering your hotmail info, can you select that option instead of selecting Next?- Then select the IMAP option when prompted, then use the following settings:Incoming (IMAP) ServerServer address: imap-mail.outlook.comPort: 993Encrypted Connection: SSLOutgoing (SMTP) ServerServer address: smtp-mail.outlook.comPort: 587 (or 25 if it does not work)Authentication: YesEncrypted Connection: TLSUser name: Your full email addressPassword: Your email password (it is case-sensitive)Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Again, it doesn't get that far. After I click on add account it fails to connect. It doesn't get to the options. This phone doesn't have the play app and I couldn't access it without signing up for Google.
Sorry; it is strange; though it is a very old phone model. Can you go to Settings -> Applications (Application manager) -> All, then scroll down, then tap on the E-mail app, then tap on Clear data, then confirm OK., then open the E-mail app icon normally, then does it ask to enter your email information? If yes, can you enter it, but don't tap on Next, but tap on the Manual setup option?Please let me know. Thank you.
I don't see that path. I have "accounts and sync" but there's no clear data option.
At the Home screen, go to Apps (where it shows all your apps), then do you see an app called Settings there? Please let me know. Thank you.
K I found it. It was just worded differently. I've cleared the data but I still can't connect.
Thank you. So after clearing data, you open the E-mail app, then it just continue to connect again, but does not let you enter your hotmail info, and/or select the manual setup option?It seems something is corrupted on the phone, is it okay to do a factory reset and check? Thank you.
No it doesn't even get to those options. If I'll lose all my contacts I'd rather not do a factory reset right now, but if it will save everything then yes.
First, you can back up your contacts to a Google / gmail account, or back up to the SD card / computer. Please see instructions athttps://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-7518
K how do I restore it?
Reset, I mean.
Yes, usually, go to Settings , Privacy , Security, factory default / reset. Thank you.
I've done the reset, but unfortunately it's still not working. Instead of saying connection failed, it just times out and says the action took too long.
I unfortunately have to go. Sorry we couldn't make this work. I may just have to try another app like you said. Or maybe it's time for a different phone.
I'm sorry, is your phone updated to the latest software version?Can you try Play Store or Market app, and set up a google / gmail account in order to download / install the Microsoft Outlook app, so that you can use your hotmail email in the Outlook app.We can continue whenever you are available. Thank you.
Viet - Android Tech
Viet - Android Tech
Viet - Android Tech, Technician