Android Devices

Android questions? Ask Android device experts for answers ASAP

I have a sam sung galaxy s6 and a galaxy tab 4 both unable…

Customer Question
I have a sam sung...
I have a sam sung galaxy s6 and a galaxy tab 4 both unable to connect to my HD tv via the samsung galaxy HDTV smart adapter with mhl technology.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Android Devices
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/16/2015
Android Device Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If the HDTV adapter is this:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/ET-H10FAUWESTA
be it noted, it insists on MHL 2.0 on the video sourcing phone. If your Galaxy devices have MHL 1.x, or a lower version, it will not work.
Also, have you otherwise directed the Galaxy device to output through the micro-USB port? and/or used an app designed to do so, or set to do so in its settings?
And lastly: have you configured the TV in question, to 'Source' the video from its HDMI port? (the one you plugged the adapter into, or connnected the adapter to.) That is a very necessary part of the process of getting it to work. You go to the TV's MENU (by pressing MENU on either TV or on the remote) and go to the Settings, then to the Source or Video Source, then choose the HDMI port... if there's more than one HDMI IN port, the choice that matches the label on the TVs case right next to that port e.g. 'HDMI INPUT 2' or the like... is the right choice. Save that settings choice, try the hookup again.
How do I check on my phone
Via the settings
Touch MENU, then the 'Gear' icon for Settings, and so forth.
(If you need more exact instructions, please tell me what Android version is on the Galaxy device(s). Thanks.)
4.0.3 I dont see any options like you mentioned under my settings menu
I apologize its 5.0.2
OK. What app are you playing the video from? or, if more than one, what apps?
They have Settings, too, if they are well written. You have to load the app first, though, to access its settings... either that or hold down on the app until Settings becomes visible as an option, I think. (It varies depending on the programmer of the app, of course.)
(Additional: Thanks for the apology! 5 is new to me...)
It's Netflix i see no settings
Do you know the version of the Netflix app?
No configurations are listed for the Netflix app in general - at least none regarding the video output.
So presumably it just streams video to your device's screen - unless you specify otherwise in settings. And since the Netflix app *has* no settings of that sort, then you have to configure that in some other place... presumably the settings for your device, that are accessible after you exit from all apps. If it needs configuring at all.
Look on the back of your TV! if the HDMI port doesn't have an MHL logo near it, it cannot accept MHL input from your phone-and-adapter combination! this is important to determine.
MHL (on reasearch) has a version 3 out already, so being up to version 2 is likely not to be a problem, unless your device is quite old... or the adapter is.
Everything is brand new all devices and the adapter
OK, I need to revise one of those paragraphs I just sent you:
So presumably it just streams video to your device's screen - and I found a source that says MHL video from an Android device needs no configuring, you just connect it. (The caveat mentioned is, the screen of the Android device has to be On.)
But again: check on the HDMI port on your TV, whether it has an MHL logo near it! if not, this won't work, period.
Additionally: I hate to have to state it, but a Tab 4 is generally not MHL capable. Tab 4s have many questions and complaints about them online, about their not working with a TV through MHL adapters.
There are compatibility lists... and the Tab 4 is not listed as compatible.
Tab 4 10.1,
Tab 4 8
Tab 5 7
are all listed as not capable of MHL.
As for 'Tab S'... that seems not to be listed. Is it a Tab 5 ? if so, what model #?
Russell H., Service Tech