Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

I have the a problem last few days. My phone is

Customer Question
Hi I have the a...
Hi I have the a problem for the last few days. My phone is HTC One X+. "Disconncted because the radio was turned off". This is the message I'm constantly getting whenever I'm trying to put the data connection on. I tried factory reset. Now what happened is that it has been reset but I cannot get my backed up data (incl. contacts. etc.) precisely because the radio is turned off. Now what do I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Android Devices
5/31/2015
Android Device Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.If, even after a factory reset, your HTC device still cannot maintain a stable radio connection... well, try going into its settings and turning Off the WiFi, and the Bluetooth (if there is any Bluetooth on your model.) But at any rate, turn Off all competing wireless networking... just the 2G/3G/etc. turned On. If that persists in being unstable, then most likely you have a 'broken' phone with a defective radio - defective in the circuitry, unfortunately.This is not something you could fix yourself. But, if the HTC phone was treated well - not obviously dropped or otherwise damaged, not gotten wet, etc. - and if it is also within 1 year of its purchase date - then it will be fixed under warranty terms, for free, by the maker (HTC) if you apply to them. (Let me know if that's the case, and I will advise you further.) As for out-of-warranty repair... that is another matter. Also let me know if that's something you're interested in doing, and I will advise you further as appropriate, for that course of proceeding.
Well, this 'radio not turned on' issue is funny, because it happens intermittently. After I wrote to you last, it is now working okay, but only sometimes. In office, both the mobile signal as well as the data connection are working, but when at home either of the two are often not, like it happened yesterday at home too. The mobile signal was off (a 'x' on top of the bars) and no calls or messages could be received; as for the data connection, two things are noticeable - one is of course the radio turned off message whenever I try to put the connection on in the settings, and another, which happens sometimes, is that, despite the airplane mode being turned off, a message is shown in the settings pane that the airplane mode is being turned off. But these problems mysteriously sort themselves out when I go outside home. But this has been happening only recently.
That is truly very interesting. As I see it from an experienced point of view, either1: could be that your phone is simply 'erratic' and sort of 'broken'... i.e. has unspecified problems in its circuitry.but2: it could be that in your home environment, even if you don't have a 'radio hacker' around - which may someday be prevalent enough to be recognized - you could have the unintentional equivalent. Some radio wave emitter in the locale might be affecting your phone.About which:- when you put the phone into Airplane mode (try it! for longer than a few minutes), do the erratic symptoms stop? in Airplane mode, it is effectively a radio-Off device. (Or, is supposed to be. To see what it actually does is the point, here.)- the mobile signal and the data connection are coeval, but the mobile signal, I think, is required before you can have a data connection. Normally, anyway. Do you *ever* observe that there seems to be a data connection, when there also seems to be no mobile signal ? this is important. 'Radio hacking' could make a phone contradict itself in that fashion... e.g. Radio Off, but data connection still obviously active! So please try that, observe, and let me know. (As for 'unintentional radio hacking', you would know best whether you have garage door openers, TV remotes, two-way radios, appliances, etc. that all might produce radio signal or at least radio noise. And you know how to deactivate them, get them to a distance, or turn them Off at least.)
Russell H., Service Tech