Android Devices

Android Questions? Ask Android Device Experts for Answers ASAP

Android Devices

Error message 'Unfortunately Android keyboard has stopped'

and Playstore crashes instantly....
Error message 'Unfortunately Android keyboard has stopped' and Playstore crashes instantly.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2012
Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Hi and welcomed to JustAnswer.com,

My name is***** will assist you with your Android issues.

I am sorry to hear about your Nexus phone having these problems.

We will do a quick reset for your phone as follow:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Apps->All (You will need to select ALL on top or swipe to the right)
  3. Select Android Keyboard / Samsung Keyboard
  4. Select Force Stop and Clear Data
  5. Go back to ALL and select Google Play Store
  6. Select Force Stop and Clear Data.
  7. Turn your device off and back on.
  8. Go to Google Play and see if you can access and download apps as well as typing on the keyboard.

IMPORTANT: Please remember that I am not getting credit until you rate my answer 3 rating or higher.You are rating my service, not site-issues or the outcome/nature of this question.

Please let me know if this answer will work out or you have any questions or concerns. If not, PLEASE DO NOT RATE YET! Reply to me by clicking on the Reply to Expert button so we can continue to work on this issue.

This did not work completely although I followed the procedure twice. Although I can now access the Playstore and it accepted an order and charged me for a Swift 3 Keyboard, that app has not installed and only appears at the top of the list of ´My Apps´.

The message saying that the Android keyboard has stopped still keeps appearing. In addition, another error message appeared saying that Únfortunately, com.google.process.gapps has stopped´ In addition, the Google account says that -Sync is experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.

Thanks Martin,

So you already clear out Android keyboard service through Settings->All->apps but still getting the error?

Please try to do a another reset on your phone. Note: We are clearing out temp files on your device. Your internal photos, videos, and Ringtones will be ERASED. Please move/copy to SD card or to your computer before this reset.

How to Backup Contacts to SD card:

To export:

1. Go to Contacts.
  2. Tap Menu button (3 dots) and select Import/Export
  3. Select Export to SD card. Your contacts will copied to SD under a vcf file.

To import:

1. Go to Contacts.
  3. Select Import from SD card. Your contacts will be imported from SD file.

To backup your SMS text messages:

1. Go to Google Play and download SMS Backup & Restore app.
  2. Open this app. Tap 3 dots button on top right corner and select Preferences.
  3. Tap Backup Folder.
  4. Change the folder to External Storage Card.
  5. When done, tap Backup button. This will save your contacts to External SD card.

Reset steps:

1. Go to Settings
  3. Select Media Storage
  4. Select Force Stop and Clear Data
  5. Go back to ALL and select Google Play Services
  6. Select Force Stop and Clear Data.
  7. Go back to ALL and select Google Play Store
  8. Select Force Stop and Uninstall updates.
  9. Go back to ALL and select Android Keyboard
  10. Select Force Stop and Clear Data.
  11. Go back to ALL and select Google Search
  12. Select Force Stop and Clear Data.
  13. Turn your device off and back on.
  14. Test your issue again.

The keyboard suddenly came back on just as I was backing up the SMS. All seems well now and Playstore has updated my apps and, somewhat reluctantly, downloaded the Swift 3 Keyboard.

Thanks Martin.

You are welcomed. Glad I could help out. Regarding the Swift 3 Keyboard, it could be a compatibility issue. Try to switch to wifi to download. If not, turn off wifi and use data to download. If still not working, try to download it a later time.

Please rate my answer so I can get credit. Thanks and have a great day!
Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Nick H.
Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist