Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a distinct raddle when the pro is engaged and under…

Customer Question
I have a distinct...

I have a distinct raddle when the pro is engaged and under power

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

4430 John Deere (don’t have serial numbers with me)

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I’m pretty sure it started while mowing heavy grass with a 10ft brush hog

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Agriculture Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

It first sounded like a side glass raddle

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 day by:
7/13/2022
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this equipment. I would take a very close look at all of your PO shafts and joints as well as your attachment bearings, shafts, and rotating components for anything that may be bent or damaged and out of alignment, loose or worn bearings, etc. all of these potential things could cause a vibration under a load. You could also try a different attachment to see if the same vibration exists in order to help isolate whether it is in the attachment or the tractor itself.Look for any traces of metal or other trash and debris within the oil that would flag internal mechanical problems existing within that component requiring disassembly for further inspection and repair. I hope you find this information helpful. 

Thank you Dan
I have pulled the pto shaft and it is good
I changed filter and put in new oil
Also pulled out the round metal screen at the bottom and cleaned it
It did have a few (maybe gear) particles but not bad
I was just checking out your website and thought someone had the same problem .
The pto works ok just has a "rattle"
I did run a different cutter on it and it is definitely a tractor problem
I don't have to use the pto as I have other tractor and can work around it
It's to hot to work on anything anyway
I'm just guessing that it broke a gear tooth as I was pulling a 10 ft brush hog and the grass was very heavy !!!