Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a jd 720 haybine, while mowing today the reel stopped…

Customer Question
I have a jd...

I have a jd 720 haybine, while mowing today the reel stopped i got off and check it and could not move the reel. i then got under the machine and eventually moved the rolls, the reel started again and mowed for a while then stopped solid again. i moved the rolls and i t eventually started again. i then found 1 of the springs on the right side was broken . i think the bearings are out on thr top roll does this make sense!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

S # e00720x100846 model 720-3.om skl mc

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
7/8/2022
Mechanic: Chad, Owner/Lead Technician replied 2 months ago
Chad
Chad, Owner/Lead Technician

Hi Im Chad and i will be helping you today but first i want to thank you for using just answer and i appreciate you coming to our platform to have your questions answered.

Yes it does make sense its probably turning until the bearings get hot and seize up and the belt will start slipping on the reel be careful or you will burn your belt up. Sometimes they will turn until you start mowing and then once it gets a load on it and heats up then it will stop. Check and see if your bearings are getting hot after running for a minute.also sometimes you can visually inspect them and see if  they are coming apart and the reel has dropped down just a little and check and see if its slipping the belt its possible that the problem is in the tractor unless the pto shaft is still turning when the reel stops I look forward to hearing back from you.

I hope that I was able to help you and I would like to know if you found the answer to your question and I wish you good luck my friend and I want to thank you for using just answer and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have anymore question that I or anyone else here can help you with. Take care.

I got this subscription for my friend Rod. Please send or change to his email***@******.*** thanks

Just go to the My Account tab and go to the email setting and change it over to his gmail and he should receive any notifications that are sent . Thanks

hi chad, thanks for your response, i started on it sunday morning it is bad bearing for sure and maybe other things not sure yet!
hi chad, tore into my jd 720 haybine to try change the top roll bearings. any videos or other davise? can the bearings be replaced with out they whole roll being removed

Not that Im aware of Im sorry. Only advice I can give you is good luck.