Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

1986 deere 2550, excellent condition electrical/mechanical;

Customer Question
1986 john deere 2550...

1986 john deere 2550, excellent condition electrical/mechanical; New (3 months) starter with light duty. Today I started the tractor and moved it 50' to attach an implement per normal, turned it off and the tractor wont turn over - starter doesn't engage or turn over - only a small "thunk" when I turn the key. Almost like there is a neutral starter switch or interlock or something, but I don't see or know of one. Seems like this happened before years ago and I all I needed to do was move the tractor a foot or so or vigorously rock it back and forth and somehow that allowed the starter to turn over - like it was blocked or something. Too late today to mess with but I'll try that first hting in the am - maybe try compression start too. Thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Agriculture Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

OK

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
7/7/2022
Mechanic: TomcM28, Owner replied 3 months ago
TomcM28
TomcM28, Owner

Hello, my name is*****’d like to help you today. Experts are users on the site just like you, we come on to help when time allows. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with your John Deere, I’ll do my best to work with you towards a solution. Please give me a moment to review your request and I’ll return shortly with my recommendation(s). In the meantime, may I ask with whom am I speaking?

Sure - Reg Wren.I have more and new information on the problem - would you like to hear it?

Hi Reg! I’ll be happy to assist with your starter issue. You can certainly rock the tractor back and forth in gear to jostle the starter gear free. Sometimes what happens is the starter gear stays in the flywheel and then doesn’t have the power to crank the engine over. Rocking the tractor in gear moves the flywheel a little and frees up the gear.

If this doesn’t help, test for power coming out of the starter solenoid going to the starter motor.

If you’d like to share any other information, I’m happy to hear it.

I hope this information helps you, my goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. If you wish to ask me a question in the future on a new topic, you can feel free to add me to your favorites then type @ followed by my name in your next chat. I look forward to assisting you again in the future. Thank you for choosing Just Answer!