Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

4530 2007 mahindra pto will not engage without grinding. The…

Customer Question
4530 2007 mahindra pto...

4530 2007 mahindra pto will not engage without grinding. The ipto seems to not disengage the clutch.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

30 series 4530 4wd serial # usm 2183 J6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Lowering rpms, everything in neutral, brake on, with and without ipto lever . Taking rotary cutter off and it goes in smoothly

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Agriculture Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Tractor just came back from shop to repair forward reverse clutch which they repaired . But this is first time we used the pto.so we don't know if it was ok before that

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Forget it to much trouble with credit card
5/18/2022
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
What does it have for a clutch? Manual clutch? Do you have less than an inch of free play in the clutch? The last push on the clutch travel is where the PTO clutch is disengaged. So if there is too much clutch travel, the PTO clutch keeps turning the shaft, causing the grinding of the gears.
My understanding is the ipto a lever next to the pto lever is suppose to be like clutch. And bringing it forward is suppose to let me engage pto then the ipto bring it back slowly to engage . I always have pedal clutch pushed down all the way but it still grinds. I hope that makes sense.

Yes, but the clutch pedal pushed all the way down, may not be stopping the shaft. How much travel do you have before you feel any resistance? Needs to be a small amount, less than an inch.

No travelI dont know what to do about that

No travel? The clutch rod between the pedal and the clutch housing can be adjusted to give more or less travel.

I'm assuming your talking about this. I took rod off and couldn't seem to get it adjusted another way. Is there a trick to this adjustment?
The rod itself is solid.

OK< if the rod has no adjustment, the block on the rod would have to be loosened and moved on the shaft.

Ok tried that but will try again. Any tips or procedures to do that easily. Press pedal then tighten?

Feel for the clutch using the pedal, then if travel is too much, mark where it is now on the shaft and block with a sharp-pointed tool, then loosen the block and move a small amount, tighten it up, and check the pedal travel again. Get pedal travel down to less than one inch, then test.

Ok ill try that

K>

Well we tried adjusting the clutch and that did not work.
We tried adjusting the ipto and it would not disengage the pto either .
We are at a loss.
With the engine off, can you engage the PTO?

So the shaft for the gears does not stop, so the teeth will mesh with the engine running. Something wrong with the clutch. Seems like whoever did the work on the tractor didn't check the PTO operation and did not address the problem. ???

I agree and I called them ...of course they said they did nothing to pto. But I think something happened and it's now like this.
Internal problem .

A shop, especially a Dealer has the obligation to check the tractor's operations before sending it back to a customer. I was a service manager for many years, and you just don't do that!

Well thank you for trying to help fix it.

Thank you.