Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I. Deere 1023e. 5 hrs old 150 hrs. Having problems wit the…

Customer Question
John Deere 1023e. 5...

John Deere 1023e. 5 hrs old 150 hrs. Having problems wit the bu

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

The bucket only creeping down I have tried everything. It has to bett

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

How do I get the page to fully open I can’t see what I am typing

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Agriculture Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I swapped hoses and the bucket goes up and down fine

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
4/12/2022
Mechanic: EricN910, Technician replied 7 months ago
EricN910
EricN910, Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** I have been a technician with John Deere dealerships for 19 years and it's my pleasure to assist you today.

I see that you have a 1023e that the loader seems to lose pressure and drop down.Is that correct?

No. It’s not loosing pressure . It will only creep down. All other functions work fine. I swapped the lines to the other set and the lift hydraulic worked fine. Came down properly. I’m sure it has to be in the dual valve. Nothing left to trouble shoot. Want to rebuild it. Can you help me.The tractor has 150 hrs. I have heard of the same problem before on line. Can’t find any info. O a rebuild

How long does it take the loader to creep down? John Deere has specs on the allowed amount for hydraulic creep over a certain amount of time.

6-in drop over a 6-hour period is within spec for John Deere on the 1023e.

It’s way out. The loader worked great. It barely comes down now. It’s use to come down in less than 10 seconds. Now it takes over a minute. Can’t work with that long of a time. The rams not getting any pressure to it.Oh I see your trying to troubleshoot the problem. I will go time it out nowThe loader takes 8 seconds to go up fully and 45 seconds to come down fully
I’m not having a drop problem. The loader won’t drop down quick enough.
Creeping down is not my problem
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Bucket works fine when hoses are swapped with the lift function. Does the lift function have the same lowering problem with the hose swap? Valves are rarely the problem. nut the quick connects are notorious for this. Try attaching hoses directly. less the quick connects, or replace the quick connects.?

No it lowered good once hoses were swapped. Of course the bucket would not rotate . I loosened the flare nuts to get an idea of pressure on the rams. Definitely a much lower pressure on the rod side. I am going to bypass the quick connect like you suggest. Makes sense. I believe it’s the blue.

> let me know.

I have good pressure at all points on the cylinders. The bucket lowers down good when I break the fluid lines. A mechanic at John Deere said it sounds like the fluid is being restricted through the filter. Bought another filter. I thought I changed it with the fluid but going to do it again. My question is about the oil suction screen located by the left rear wheel. Could this be causing a problem? Going to clean it today. ThanksThe operation manual is showing how to properly remove and clean suction screen from transmission. Going to do that today. If you can provide any additional advice would be appreciated. Thanks

This is not a screen or filter problem, both are on the suction side of the system, A suction problem would affect all functions, not one.

You are right. Return fluid problem has to be in the separate line since all other functions work fine. The bucket comes down fast when I break the return pressure line. Maybe there is also a problem with the pressure when the loader comes up but I'm not noticing it. What is the timi is seconds for loader to fully travel up. Had to change all the loader o rings. They went bad when I loosend the hyd. Lines to the loader

No problem before the o'rings were changed? Parts of o'ring are caught up somewhere, causing restriction. Check the valve return port.

The problem existed before I rings were changed. Screen was pretty dirty. Going to change filter and fluid see if it reacts faster thanks

K< then you can check the return for obstruction.

Changed filter fluid,cleaned screen. Lift still slow coming down. Here is some new information. When the lift comes down it makes a abnormal strain sound. It is the same sound you hear when you have reached the full travel on a hydraulic function and the control is still being used. We know the loader is. Coming down quickly when the hydraulic line is opened. I think the straining noise if from the back pressure of the fluid not returning in full flow due to the restriction. I feel it is in the control valve. I don't see anything leftLet me know what you think. ThanksIf the control valve does not see return flow only discharge I will be wrong. But for sure it is a return problem. Need to see the hydraulic system on the tractor.Going to try to find the system on the 1023e

K>

I found the diagram. Both sets discharge and return go through the control valve. I think the return for the lift going down is being partially restricted at the control valve

There has to be a restiction, either at the valve, or before the transmission housing.

The loader works fine once I swapped the lines with the bucket lines . Wouldn't that rule out the transmission housing?I need a good service manual. Surely the valve can be repaired if that ends up being the problem?

The valve comes apart easily. Remove one spool at a time, and each plug, one at a time, remove, inspect and reassemble. Look for pieces that don't belong, and holes that could be plugged.