Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have a 1999 4100 JD. Is hard starting in cool weather. Saw…

Have a 1999 4100...

Have a 1999 4100 JD. Is hard starting in cool weather. Saw your answer to place HST in gear, turn key to START, hold about 12 sec and shift to neutral. IT WORKS. now I know glow plugs are probably going bad. Can plugs be replaced without tearing down engine? how difficult?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I'll have to go to the barn to get that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Don't think so, but as far as I know, 4100 HST is the only model description. I'll have to get serial #, although not sure why that makes a difference.

12/21/2021
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 11 months ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

I go offline at 3 pm CST. M-F

Weekend 2 pm CST for the day

• Is this a backhoe ? or compact tractor?
compact tractor(Yanmar engine0. so can I just unscrew old glow plug (3) and put in a new one?

Yes, that is correct

you will need a 12mm deep socket to remove them.

Wayne, Journeyman