Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Deere 2305 Ignition Problem. Battery is new and power to…

Customer Question
John Deere 2305 Ignition...

John Deere 2305 Ignition Problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Battery is new and power to switch is good. Turning switch on results in click but no response at starter. Fuses are ok. What do I check next?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, fixing myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Agriculture Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Need next step direction. Ed

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
8/24/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 11 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with your equipment. Be sure to check all of your safety switches and wiring any possible problems. If that circuit checks out okay, test for voltage at the starter solenoid signal wire when the ignition switch is in the cranking position. You find that you have they are or have battery voltage, it is a problem that John Deere had on a lot of different compact tractor models. The solution they came up with is to install and wire in a relay within that circuit  to bring 12 V to the starter solenoid start signal circuit. Check with the dealership for the relay and wiring kit, as well as the service bulletin to tie it all in for your tractor if you confirm this is your problem. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Have checked the voltage at the starter - solenoid connections. None registered. Am assuming the problem is in the solenoid. Thanks for your suggestion. It helped. Getting the unit off is another story ugh. !!

Thank you for the update. Sometimes it's best replace the starter assembly and be done with it.