Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

4710 hydraulic hoses that control the steering(right behind…

Customer Question
4710 hydraulic hoses that...

4710 hydraulic hoses that control the steering(right behind the front axle) gave up, maybe with other "issues". I had changed the 2 hydraulic filters below the operators floorboard and used OE fluid. How large(big) a task is it to get up inside those "cover plates" on each side and just below the engine to replace whatever has failed(worn out over 20+ years). Thank you. g.lee. Oh! The front end loader is still attached with a basically empty hydraulic system.....

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

**LV4710H170609** John Deere 4710 with attached 400X Loader

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you,

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Agriculture Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I hope my description is accurate, I purchased it from a JD Dealer with 14 hours on it, some 20 years ago. x

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 day by:
7/30/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with your tractor. I see you have been waiting some time for some advice on this.You can utilize the John Deere parts catalog online for component locations and assistance on fastener locations to use as reference for disassembly and assembly of components. You're going to want to replace any dry rotted hydraulic hoses and damaged or leaking hoses. You're also going to want to go with a complete set of filters And replace all fluids with a full-service, and new set of batteries or battery.Then when you do an initial startup you can monitor for any leaks or other problems, such as any type of operational issues that may need to be addressed separately. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I drained the hydraulic system/ changed both filters three days previous to this event, with JD filters & fluids. My JD 400 loader is still attached. Working at arms length I'm guessing I must pull off both of those bolted on plates(6" high by 22+" long) for access above the steering cylinder. Is there anything else in there to service?

I would just service all fluids for now so you can get an idea on what compartments show signs of possible internal mechanical problems if the oil is contaminated with either water, discoloration or burnt smell, metal or other trash and debris that would flag the need for disassembly for further inspection confirming a mechanical failure.