Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1988 4450 deere tractor when i changed the 1000 pto…

I have a 1988...

I have a 1988 4450 john deere tractor when i changed the 1000 pto to 540 it still spins 1000 rpm

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I have a 4450 john deere tractor when i change the 1000 pto to 540 it still spins 1000 rpm

7/26/2021
Mechanic: TomcM28, Owner replied 1 year ago
TomcM28
TomcM28, Owner

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. My name is*****'d like to help you today. I'm a user on here just like you, I come on to help when time allows. I'm sorry you're having trouble with your John Deere, I'll do my best to work with you toward a solution.

Did you change the PTO drive gear or just install the splined adapter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tom i just took out the 1000 pto and put in the 540 shaft.

Unless you change the inside gear the PTO RPM will not change. All you are doing is changing the spline pattern so you can connect a 1000 RPM implement. You can however back off on your engine RPM to get closer to the 540 range. This typically works only if your tractor can power the implement at a lower engine RPM.

I hope this information helps you, please reply here with any further questions. Thank you for choosing Just Answer!

TomcM28
TomcM28, Owner