Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

This sounds like what I am running into right now with my…

Customer Question
This sounds like what I...
This sounds like what I am running into right now with my John Deere 755. Do you know what the solution ended up being?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
7/26/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Sorry, I can't reference what you were looking at, can you give me a update as to the problem?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello. I'm trying to remove the axle pin on the mfwd axle. The post said the bushing also has to come out. There's not enough clearance for the PIN to come out otherwise. It hits the frame and has a little bit left holding the axle inIt's page 50-20-4 in the shop manual I have step 7. Remove axle pin a and bushing b. I'm wondering what the trick is to getting bushing b out

You have the pin out, or it won't clear? Can you jack up the center which should let wheel drop?  Bushing just has to be removed with a chisel or a pin with a shoulder on it, to drive the bushing out. Or use a bolt and water set up, to pull the bushing out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pin will almost clear. It seems the PIN has just enough in the hole to hold the axle up. The machine is jacked up with the axle free. It appears the pin and bushing need to come out all at once for the axles to be free. Is it possible to remove the bushing with the pin still in it?I've tried a lot of positions with a jack underneath.

To get the bushing out with the pin would take some kind of sleeve to get the bushing to move, I don't see that happening, Has to be a way to get more clearance for the pin to come out!

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/66727/referrer/navigation/pgId/14400624

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The other post from this website suggested grinding the pin or the frame to get that last little bit of clearance. I would rather not grind my frame or the PIN. The answer ended up being that the person asking the question ran into a technician who remembers doing this project. They said they had to remove the bushing to get the clearance but it never said how they did that

Bushing is a tight fit, so it would have to be punched out a small amount at a time. Are you going to replace the pin? if so, pin could be cut.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't need the bushing out. I just want the axle out so I can look for a busted gear. I guess this is one of those why didn't I think of that moments. If the pin isn't too expensive cutting it sounds like a great idea

Could be an option.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's one I will look into thank you

OK   >

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Apartments at least close to $100 so I would rather not cut it. Do you know if I would be able to get the pin mostly out and try to pound it out from behind? It would be tight because it's up underneath the tractor and I would have to go in the back hole for the other bushing is that holds the axle

All this time, I thought this was an outer pin, this is the pivot for the axle in the frame. Isn't there more room to knock the pin out toward the front of the tractor, than back toward the engine?  Pin doesn't have to come out of the frame, but just far enough to clear the axle housing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The service manual appears to be correct. Bushing has to come out for the pin to come out. The pin hits against the frame leaving just enough of the pin in the axle so the axle won't release. When the front bushing is removed the pin easily comes out. For several weeks off and on I have been trying everything I can think of while drenching it with pb blaster. What ended up working is that I noticed there was about a 1/32 " gap between the back of the front bushing (the one I inquired about) and the front of the axle. I used an air hammer from the front to close that gap and move the bushing slightly to the rear. I then used pry bars to move the bushing slightly more forward than it started making it flush with the back of the frame. This gave the axle enough play that I could position it to have a small access on the back of the bushing. There was just enough room for the pointy attachment for my air hammer to push the bushing 2/3 of the way out. A hammer and screwdriver did the last bit.

Good job. Thanks for the update.