Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Gasoline mistakenly put into Deere tractor Model 2305.

Customer Question
Gasoline mistakenly put into...

Gasoline mistakenly put into John Deere tractor Model 2305. Engine ran for 10 minutes. Can I siphon out gasoline and refill with diesel and not cause damage to engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Havent done anything until we get some advice

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Agriculture Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

That’s it. Thank you

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
6/17/2021
Mechanic: Andrew G.,
 replied 1 year ago
Andrew G.

Hi, my name is***** am sorry to hear about your mistake. I'll do my best to help you here with this problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I accidentally put gasoline in my John Deere 2305 tractor's fuel tank. I drove the tractor for about 15 minutes when I noticed that the engine started to miss and the power started to decrease. I sensed that something was wrong. I am going to drain the fuel tank and put in the proper diesel fuel and start the tractor. I'm curious about what damage to the engine this mistake has caused?
Thanks
Mechanic: Andrew G.,
 replied 1 year ago

If you haven't heard any abnormal noises or troublesome symptoms in operation then there is a good chance that nothing terrible happened yet. The biggest issue with the gasoline is that is less lubricating qualities than the diesel. With the fine tolerances in the high pressure fuel system it is very important. It is hard to tell how long is too long before damage occurs. However the thing is: if there is any damage it is already done and by operating engine using diesel now you will not hurt anything anymore. So I would suggest here to syphon out all the gasoline from the tanks, remove and drain or replace fuel filters, and run it. If it runs good you are home free. If something is damaged, most likely injectors or high pressure fuel pump will fail first. Also the cylinder liner/piston and rings may overheat and start scoring and seizing but it is hard to tell the extent of damage if any. Try cleaning all the gasoline and running it on diesel. Be gentle at the beginning. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thank you

Mechanic: Andrew G.,
 replied 1 year ago

If you are satisfied with my service please take a moment and leave your feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, we’ll give it a try....
Mechanic: Andrew G.,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok. Good luck