Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Massey Ferguson 30B industrial with a front-end…

I have a Massey Ferguson...
I have a Massey Ferguson 30B industrial with a front-end loader. It has several problems. I am requesting information on what I need to do to correct these problems listed below.
1. The trans hydraulic fluid is milky.
2. The right brake actuator is leaking milky hydraulic fluid at the boot. I purchased a new boot. What is involved in replacing the boot? Do I have to drain the trans hydraulic fluid first before changing the boot?
3. The steering wheel has play. I removed the reservoir cover cycled the steering wheel back and forth; there was no air bubbles in the reservoir.
4. The forward and reverse lever will not stay engaged; I have to hold the lever in place.
Answered in 3 days by:
6/14/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

#1, the oil needs to be drained from the transmission and the hydraulic reservoir in the loader frame, if there are hoses to the loader frame, if no hoses, all the oil is in the transmission, # 2, replace the brake boot before refilling the oil. Just remove the linkage down to the straight brake rod, and remove the boot from the axle, and slip it off, Install the new boot. # 3, The steering, you just need to see where the slack is, and repair as needed. #4, the detents in the transmission shifter for F/R are not holding, and need to be repaired, consisting of ball and spring, to hold the shifter in gear.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the late responce, been busy. I have hoses that go to the front end loader actuators. Does the transmission and hydraulic fluid use the same fluid? After I replace the brake boot and add the transmission fluid how do I get the air out of the system?

The system is self bleeding, if there are no hoses to the loader frame, all the fluid will be in the transmission, which would also be the hydraulic reservoir.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have hoses going to the loader frame. Also, recently the clutch is not working correctly. I can put the shift lever in 1st gear and shift into high gear but at times I can not shift into forward gear.I am hoping the clutch pedel just needs to be adjusted.

Do you have about an inch of free play in the clutch pedal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check tomarrow. I am thinking it might be more than a inch.

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 1/8 inch play when I put my foot on the pedal then feel resistance Also the pedal linkage rod measure 11 inches.

Length means nothing, adjust the rod until you have at least 3/4 inch of play.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I make the adjustment at the rod end or at the cross shaft?

Does not matter , rod end seems to be an easier place.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You would think the rod end would be easier but it is old. I need to soak it in penetrating oil. Do not want to break it.

What ever is easier.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To be continued another day.

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The MF30B tractor has to be put on hold for a while. I will let you know if I need help when I am able to get back to it. Thank you for your help.