Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a MF 1130, and the seal on the steering rack is

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a MF 1130, and the seal on the steering rack is leaking badly. The steering rack of off, and according to

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Agco parts book, the steering rack has a plug in the top. My question is how to get the plug out ??????

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Agriculture Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I do not have complete serial number now...take a few minutes to locate if it is necessary...but according to agco part, it appears to only 2 different types of racks used...

4/15/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

A cup plug on top of the center housing? You take pointed tool and punch a hole in it and pry it out, you can find a replacement at any auto supply store with the old one to match it up.

https://na.apb.agcocorp.com/editor/aicuri/y/czM6Ly9kZWZhdWx0L2FpYy9leHBvcnRzLzIwMjEtMDQtMTUvNDhkYzM5MDItMDRhZi00Yzg2LTg5YWQtZGZjMDU1NTg3NTljLzMzMi5wZGY=/332.pdf?token=NjM3NTQxMTI3OTcwMDAwMDAw

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll give it a try. Thanks

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I first used a punch, but switch to a chisel... the chisel worked better...have to be careful not to damage the underside of cup....thanks a lot....I'm done for now. Thanks.

OK> Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought by submitting the rating indicated I had received your response and rated it as well... anyway, I have a follow up question. The rack gears appear to run in grease, not oil. Is this correct ??? If so, what kind of grease should I add and how much ????

Use 80-90 gear oil.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that doesn't mix with the hydraulic fluid,,,right???

No, separate.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, how much, to the top of the rack ?? and should I try to wipe out all of the grease that's in it ??

f it had grease in it, I would add more grease and not the oil. The grease will not have the tendency to leak as the oil would, The ends , with the pistons use hydraulic oil to push one piston while the other returns. SO you have a manual gear set in the middle with the rack, worked by hydraulics on each end.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thanks a lot.
STOP

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
STOP

Stopped!