Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1987 deere 430 diesel lawn and garden tractor.it…

I have a 1987...

I have a 1987 john deere 430 diesel lawn and garden tractor.it starts right up but as soon as i move the hydrostatic lever it shuts down.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Hello.Ihave a 1987 john deere 430 diesel lawn and garden tractor.It starts right up but as soon as i move the hydrostatic lever it shuts down.

4/10/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

PTO switches off? Seat switch working? The tractor sees the issue as (no one in the seat) so as soon as you try to move, it kills the engine. Check all the safety witches.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the PTO Switch is off and seat switch is working.There are other safety switches?

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/62402/referrer/navigation/pgId/28225351

Brake switch and a time delay module, along with the pto and seat. Is seat two wire or three or four wire harness?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has two prongs if that's what you mean.

So it is just  a two wire switch , used for start only.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that the time delay module that the lever touches when in neutral.Looks like a bear to get to.

That's it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what's the chances of it being that?

Has to be a switch or the timer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.Thank you Curtis for your help.

Thank you.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician