Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Deere 440 Ic. 451549. I need to adjust the pressure…

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere 440 Ic

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

451549

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I need to adjust the pressure plate on the steering clutch

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I put new fibers new steals a new pressure plate on

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
3/26/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you're having troubles with the clutches on this machine. Follow the steps below in order to verify proper adjustment with your clutches. If there is still a problem, double check your work and make sure everything is stacked correctly and there are no installation problems.

Pull both clutch levers back 6 to 8 inches the tractor should stop moving. If you have to pull the levers back further to stop the tractor, then you need to adjust the clutch linkage. If the tractor stops at the 6 to 8 inch pull, then the right hand brake is out of adjustment or worn out. Remove the sheet metal cover on top of the clutch/brake housing. It is about 4" square and is attached by 4 1/4" cap screws. With cover removed you should be able to see the brake band and adjusting bolt. NOT THE 1/4" CAP SCREW UNDER THE COVER. The adjusting bolt is about 3/8" and connects the band ends. There is a round nut with four slots that you turn with a screwdriver through the 2" bung hole on the back of the housing about 6" below the sheet metal cover. Turn the nut down tight and back off one turn. Now check that the linkage under the cover starts applying the brake band when the lever is at 6 to 8 inches. If the brake still doesn't hold, you are probably down to the rivets.

To adjust clutch release bearing:

Remove front 2" bung( cover) and with a 1/2" socket and a long extension loosen the cap-screw next to the release bearing (no more than one turn). The cap-screw is in a angled/slot, so you turn the bearing sleeve to adjust the bearing closer to or further from the pressure plate fingers. Adjust the bearing so you have 1" free-travel.

I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.