Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

How do I crank my New Holland T4-100 in extreme cold? I'll…

Customer Question
How do I crank...

How do I crank my New Holland T4-100 in extreme cold?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I'll get it just a moment

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we are fixing the problem ourselves, we winterized the tractor a few days ago we don't normally have extreme cold where we live.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

My husband left for a few minutes and I don't know all the information on the tractor. I will get back with you once he returns home.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm going to go get my husband so he can take it from here. I've told you all I know at this point.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
2/16/2021
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

I go offline between 3-4 Pm CST. M-F

Weekend 2-3 pm CST for the day.

If you have glow plugs use them before cranking.

2nd thing is to change the motor oil to Synthetic oil.

Lastly, install an electric block heater in the lower radiator hose.

I hope this helps you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We live in an area that does not usually get extreme cold. The tractor has been maintained for the most part through our New Holland dealer. The tractor was winterized a few days ago when we became aware of the possibility of the weather we are experiencing. We live in a very rural area and with the current weather conditions we are not able to travel the 30 miles to the nearest dealership to purchase an electric block heater or synthetic oil. As far as we can tell the tractor does not have glow plugs. Are there other possible fixes for this problem, we need to feed our cattle and both of our tractors are New Holland T4-100's and neither of them will crank.

Yes, your engine has a grid heater on the manifold,

make sure the fuse is not blown.

I will get a picture of it.