Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2006 Deere tractor 1070 it won’t go into any gear…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 John...
I have a 2006 John Deere tractor 1070 it won’t go into any gear at all. Could it need a clutch or can I adjust the clutch see if that works?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
2/11/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Does the clutch have any freeplay? Does it feel like it is engaging? Does the PTO turn.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It feels like it’s engaging

Are the gears grinding if you don't push the clutch in and try to shift? Did it quit underuse, or what is the rest of the story?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems like the gears go in but the tractor does not go fast at all it almost seems like the clutch stays engaged and I get no speed on it

Do you have freeplay in the clutch travel? If not the clutch will not grasp the flywheel fully and just slip.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you mean by that?

Your clutch pedal has to let the clutch come back all the way, for it to have maximum grip on the flywheel. This is why the pedal has to have a slight amount of slack at the top, called freeplay.

# 8 is the clevis to adjust the freeplay,

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/83784/referrer/navigation/pgId/17371232

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you sir I’ll try this tomorrow and keep you updated. Let’s say the clutch does need replacing would you have a diagram for that and torque specs?

No specs. The tractor has to be split behind the engine, and if you have never done it, a service manual from eBay would be a plus.