Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Kubota 3030- Anew engine was installed in 2017 - Recently…

Kubota 3030- Anew engine...

Kubota 3030- Anew engine was installed in 2017 - Recently due to a very loud grinding noise I sent the tractor for repair after being told by a friend that the noise was due to something in the rear PTO. The noise occurred only when the underbelly mower was engaged.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I am looking for information so that I can talk intelligently with the service mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes after working on the gears controlling the motor of the mower, I am now told that the drive plate associated with the clutch needs to be repaired. This I am told is not related to the mower. As of the now the tractor will not move.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/27/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! I will try my best to help!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OkokI prefer to chat via typing

So the mower gearbox was the grinding noise? Was the tractor pulling ok, just had noise at the mower deck? The clutch drive plate would drive the tractor, but ot also drives the deck, through the PTO drive. Was the tractor driving when it was sent in for service? It should drive now! Does the clutch have free play, so the pressure plate gets maximum force on the drive disc and flywheel?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tractor was just beginning to conk off when I parked it to have it picked up to take it to be rekpaired.

seems odd that the clutch would need replacing, as it was likely replaced with the 2017 engine replacement.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, I had someone look at the tractor and was told that the noise was associated with the rear PTO. The noise only occurred when the mower was engaged. It was very loud The mechanic was not able to duplicate the loud noise

Was the gearbox on the deck bad?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a cost of about $1,000 to repair it

So now it will not drive? And they want to install a new clutch drive plate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but they are not sure of the cost because it may involve more than what can be determined without taking the tractor apartI am told the start shaft & plate, the keyway, key and shaft

It involves splitting the tractor, does it have a loader? Makes labor higher if it does, new clutch and pressure plate, figure $2000. I can't imagine why they can't give you a price for replacing a clutch.?? How would they know if it needed a shaft? The drive clutch is the only thing that would keep the tractor from moving.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does have a loader. I am told that it could be 3 different parts that would need to be replaced. Is it really reasonable that if the engine was replaced three years ago that the clutch should still be ok?Also, the seat was not making proper contact so that I could run the tractor. Once I added pressure to the seat, the engine would stay engaged.

A three-year-old clutch can be damaged from loader use, and not having free play in the clutch pedal, letting the clutch slip. Do you know if the clutch had freeplay ad was not slipping?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Phone call session started

Thank you Susan.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!

OK>