Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Deere 6620. Unable to steer. deere 6620 unable steer.

Customer Question
John Deere 6620....

John Deere 6620. Unable to steer

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

John deere 6620 unable steer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. nothing yet

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/25/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

What happens, does the steering wheel turn, just no action at the front wheels? This is the 4Wd version? I'm thinking that your steering cylinder on the front axle has internal leakage, and needs to be resealed/repaired.

This combine steers from the rear, no steering components on the front. We went to turn and make another round and a quarter way down the row the steering just quit. Steering wheel won't turn just a slight movement. The steering in the rear is controlled by a cylinder which pushes or pulls the tie rod/draglink. There is fluid to the rear cylinder but cannot tell if it has enough pressure

6620 is also a tractor! But very possible the steering cylinder on your steer axle could be leaking internally. But if the steering wheel does not turn, could be a pressure problem from the pump. The pump is the valve under the steering wheel.

I don't have a pressure gauge to check pressure at the cylinder is there a way to eliminate any of these components

Try to turn the steering wheel, and loosen a hose at the cylinder, if there is pressure there, tighten the line, and loosen the one on the opposite end, there should be no pressure, if there is , the cylinder is bypassing. If no pressure on either end of the cylinder, no pressure coming from the pump end.

I'll try that thanks

Thank you.