Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Changing out front axle of a 1050 John Deere cant get pivot…

Customer Question
Changing out front axle...

Changing out front axle of a 1050 John Deere cant get pivot pin out i cant find the snap ring that suppose to be there whats next

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tractor setting on blocks wheels off pull all nuts and washer off and bushing out jack axle up to take weight off of pin it slids back and forth easy cant find snap ring i tried to put nut on the tapered end and hit out will not go

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
9/26/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! I will try my best to help!

It is not a snap ring, but a washer with a split, The pin has to move back far enough the washer can be slipped off, then the pin can go out int the opposite direction.

That washer is on the taper end?

That's what it looks like.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i also reply with i can only get the pin to move 3/8 of an inch one way or other why is that ?
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago

Pin has ridges worn in it from use.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no thanks ill work on it again today

OK> That is site asking for call, not me!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You still there
I can only slide the pin back about 3/8 of an inch
Ok I'll order a new pin cut this one by out thsnjs

OK>