Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have an older Yanmar tractor with an engine that was

Hello. I have an older...
Hello. I have an older Yanmar tractor with an engine that was rebuilt last year and has run nicely since the rebuild. I noticed a bit of blue smoke and power loss yesterday so I checked the feul filter cup and sure enough there was dirt and water in it which I emptied out.
Then stupid me tried to start the tractor without filling the cup and got air in the lines. I have bled the air out all the way up to where the fuel lines enter the injectors and yet the engine turns over nicely but will not start.
I hope you can help me.
9/14/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! I will try my best to help!

Thanks Curtis. I'm Derick

Do you have a solid stream of fuel to the injection pump? And you have the pump in the run position? Did you loosen the high-pressure lines at the injector nozzles? Loosen the high-pressure lines and crank, until you have fuel squirting, not just dribbling, then tighten the lines and start the engine.

I am pretty sure the fuel was "squirting" but I'll give it another shot.

No smoke from the exhaust when cranking? No fuel to the injectors!

I loosened the nuts a bit and fuel is definitely pulsing out of the cracks, not dribbling, but when I retighten the nuts no smoke, no start.

Is it turning fast enough to start? Does it have glow plugs, are they working?

My first paragraph says it all, but again the tractor was running fine until I got air in the lines. I live in Arizona so even though the glow plug probably works I have never had to use it. The engine turns over rapidly.

Fuel quality? Did you add different fuel?

Nope. Fresh fuel the same as I was running yesterday.All I did was sclean dome gunk out of the filter cup and then get air in the linesThe pump is good as far as I can tell, and the injectors were new or rebuilt with the engine last year. I really don't get it

If the injectors are getting fuel ,the engine should be running!

I know. Its OK if you can't help. Don't sweat it. My mechanic will come out. I just thought I might be missing something simple.

Other than trying a sniff of starting fluid, I don't see where you missed anything.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
lol I did that too. I hate to use starting fluid but did give it a sniff. All I got was a couple of coughs and back to turning over. We'll call it good here Curtis. I have a call into my mechanic and I will give you an E for effort. Thanks.

OK> Thanks!