Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a JD 970 Compact Tractor with new battery. All safety…

Customer Question
I have a JD...

I have a JD 970 Compact Tractor with new battery. All safety switches work. The only problem is the "pull" signal is not working for the fuel shutoff solenoid. I can turn the key switch to run position and manually push the fuel solenoid rod and it will hold and allow the tractor to start. What do I need to check/change for this solenoid to work. A brand new solenoid acts no differently.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Hang on and let me look that up

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
9/10/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! I will try my best to help!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

You want to make it work, or go back factory? Locate the wire on the solenoid for the pul function, and route it to the motor side f the starter solenoid, this will energize it only when the starter is turning. This is the way Deere wires it on the diesel Gator.

On the Gator it is the white wire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll have to look at this when I get home. It will be sometime this evening. This is a John Deere 970 Compact Tractor though, not a Gator

I know, but it has the Yanmar engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to make it work and figure out what needs replacing to go back factory.Yanmar engine

I don't have service manual on the tractor to see where Deere would route it for start. They may have it wired that way, and the wire is off or broken.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I'll look tonight when I get a chance. Can I text you here tomorrow?

Yes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks!

Thank you!