Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have milky water in my hydraulic oil. It’s a 5310 tractor.

Customer Question
I have white milky...

I have white milky water in my hydraulic oil

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far? Are you fixing your vehicle yourself?

It’s a 5310 tractor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I’m wanting to know is there something with the water system that could be broken and letting water in to my hydraulic system

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
do I talk with him on this text platform or the web site I just paid thru ?
8/22/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! I will try my best to help!

OkIs the water system on this John Deere 5310 tied to the hydraulic system in any way ?For cooling of fluid or something

No, there is no way for the coolant to get in the hydraulic oil. The most likely source is water running down shifter rods and into the transmission if the shift boots are worn or cracked or missing.

I'm trying to separate the possibilities of it being rain water or if it got in there from the radiator

Scroll up to see my response!

Ok iv walked out to look at tractor to see

OK>

Can you receive pics ?

I've seen worse, this one is not too bad, has some cracks. Is that the only one one top?

Sending a pic of otherBoth look prydarn good to me and not showing any cracksPretty darn good I ment

Any chance it could have come from oil can when adding fluid?

Brand new five gallon buckets is the only oil added recently

How much water are we talking about? If you loosen the drain plug, do you have water in the bottom of the case?

Let me check and get right back with ya , from the stick it's showing milky white

OK>

Ok the oil coming out of the plug on the bottom of the rear axel is milky white and thin with water .This problem was found when we decided to change the hydraulic oil filter under the lower right foot step pan and discovered the white oil . So we drained allthat would come out of that drain and started adding fresh oil back to the system. Now the fresh oil is milky and I don't know that there wasn't still a lot ofcontaminated oil still in the system when we went to adding it back you knowNot sure how much oil this system holds when it's totally empty but we added a five gallon bucket and it was still a little low so I bought another bucket andwhen I started to add it is when I discovered that the first added bucket had been contaminated

?? Not the oil in the can, but from the oil in the transmission.??

RightThe oil in bucket was brand newHaven't added anything but new oil

I see no way coolant would cross over to the hydraulic system. The oil cooler is an air cooler, and even if it had a wet cooler, the hydraulic oil is higher pressure so oil would go into the coolant, not the other way.

A short time before we discovered this issue we had a leaking rubber hose on the motor and it seems to be on a pump of some kind . I'll send a couple pics soyou can rule this out because we're suspicious of it being tied to the problem
This is on the front right lower corner of the motor , can you tell me what it is ?Has a filter on itThat short L shapes nipple was leaking water but I know that's not the water pumpWe assumed it was a oil cooling pump for block oil or hydraulic ?
if there is a water line traveling off the water pump to that hydraulic pump , then couldn't a bad seal in that pump allow the water and oil to mix ?

Should be no water hose to his pump.

Do you see the high lighted line from the pump straight to the water pump ?there are 2 lines so it can circulate

Not showing in the Deere parts book. This is the way an oil cooler would be on an engine, water circulating to cool the oil.?? This being on the suction side of the pump, the pump could suck in the water! Take it off and pressure test it or look for crack, or physical problem.??

right about the oil cooler on a car and yes with it being a hydraulic suction pump it could be sucking in water �� I think I'll take it off and rebuild it and change leaking water pump while I'm in there . I'll let you know if that is the fix , be a few days . Should I go ahead an drain all contaminated oil from tractor you think ?

I would wait until you find the source, then drain the oil.

Ok

Let me know what you find. Thanks