Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Deere Z810a Z-Trak mower. It runs great except when…

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere Z810a Z-Trak mower. It runs great except when mowing uphill. The mower engine and blade speed slow considerably and will stall if you don’t stop forward mowing or disengage the blades. If you disengage the blades the engine speed returns to normal

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

The mower just had its 1000 hr service at a JD dealer In May

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
8/16/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! I will try my best to help!

I know you think I'm crazy, but run a simple cylinder test. Remove a spark plug wire and see if the engine will start and run on the remaining cylinder. Repeat the test on the second cylinder, just to be sure the engine is firing on both cylinders.

Well your request was not that crazy. Viewing from the rear, if I pull the Left plug the mower will not start. If I pull the Right plug the mower starts and sounds normal. I have a spark tester if you think it is worth testing? In theory these are new plugs since replacing them is part of the 1000 hour service I paid lots of $$$ dollars for John Deere to do a couple months back. Could this be a bad coil? BTW the model # is a Z810A 22HP 54”. The S/N is 7C810AH014302. Tks.

Check for spark on the dead cylinder, and likely it will be a bad coil, if no spark.

I just tested with an in-line spark plug tester. The “good” cylinder is about 3x brighter than the “bad” cylinder. There is spark but it is pretty dim in the tester. Weak coil?Kind of unexpected that it runs as well as it does on 1.33 cylinders:)

Sounds like bad coil to me! It's amazing how well they run on one cylinder!

Ok, I will get one on order and see if that fixes the problem.

> Has to help!

I found Kawasaki parts for $30 or JD OEM for $85+. Any recommendations?

Deere does not make them, go with the Kawaski.