Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Model 5085M Deere. the PTO does not work. I replaced the…

Customer Question
Model 5085M John Deere...

Model 5085M John Deere. the PTO does not work. I replaced the on/off pull switch and it seemed to solve the problem. The yellow signal light came on the dash showing it was getting power however in about 5 seconds the light would go off and the PTO shaft never did turn.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok is he available now?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
7/30/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Operate PTO

NOTE: Engine will start with PTO switch up (engaged), but PTO shaft will not rotate until switch is reset.

1. Depress clutch pedal, start engine and push hand throttle lever (A) forward until tachometer indicates PTO rated speed:

PTO Rated Speed

PTOEngine rpm Speed

(###) ###-####/p>

540E1645

10002100

NOTE: When in 540E position, engine speed is limited to a maximum of 1900 rpm. 540E operation will not engage if engine speed is above 1900 rpm.

A-Hand Throttle
B-540E Operation Speed
C-540 Operation Speed

Cab Shown, other similar

SH20560,0000409 -19-14JUL08-1/3

OOS

Cab

A-540/540E PTO Speed Shift Lever
B-Electrohydraulic PTO Switch
C-PTO Indicator

NOTE: PTO is engaged or disengaged without depressing clutch pedal.

2. Engage PTO:

Lift switch (B) up to engage PTO.

PTO indicator (C) will light when PTO is engaged.

IMPORTANT: A warning alarm will sound if operator leaves seat with PTO engaged.

NOTE: If engine is stopped while PTO is engaged, restart engine, depress and lift switch knob (B) to reset and engage PTO.

IMPORTANT: Do not use PTO speed shift lever to engage or disengage PTO.

SH20560,0000409 -19-14JUL08-2/3

OOS

Cab

3. Disengage PTO:

Push switch knob (B) down to disengage PTO.

PTO brake automatically engages when PTO is disengaged.

PTO indicator (C) is off when PTO is disengaged.

A-540/540E PTO Speed Shift Lever
B-Electrohydraulic PTO Switch
C-PTO Indicator

Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this tractor PTO engagement. Run through the checks listed above as well as accessing the complete operation and maintenance manual within the link below for further details. The index is on the left-hand side. Make sure it is not getting locked out as described within these operational checks by a safety interlock function. If this all checks out okay as well as all of your fuses and relays and wiring or connector pins within the electrical circuit, check for any signs of metal or debris within the oil and filter on your tractor that would potentially flag an internal mechanical problem with your PTO clutch that would require disassembly for further inspection and repair or rebuild of the PTO clutch assembly. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

manuals.deere.com/omview/OMSJ10117_19/OMSJ10117_19.htm