Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

70’s model 4020 JD 3 point lift arms and SEV hydrolics are…

70’s model 4020 JD...

70’s model 4020 JD 3 point lift arms and SEV hydrolics are very slow to raise. Where do I look for the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I’m not at the tractor right now but I do have the serial #SNT213P114385R of our other 4020 John Deere that is a 66 model power shift.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Good

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I’m not sure, maybe I’ll have more information when we get started.

7/15/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with this tractor. Check your filter and suction screen as well as your oil level and condition for any sign of metal or debris that would flag or confirm an internal mechanical or component failure occurring or has occurred. Check your control valve for any metal or debris as well as any damage or damaged O-rings within the control valve and any circuit relief valves that would cause that circuit to malfunction. Be sure all of your spools move freely. If this checks out okay, check your drop rate control valve adjustment at the base of your seat by your feet and for any problems within the drop rate control valve if there is any type of metal or debris that would cause that to malfunction as well potentially affecting your lift arm operation. If your screen/ filter is clean and not restricting oil to your pump , you very well could also have a weak pump that is in need of replacement . I would check all your control valves first in the other things that I have mentioned . I do not have the service book for this older tractor but , it wouldn't be a bad idea to have your pressures tested and confirmed whether or not they are within OEM specifications for your model and serial number service book if you have not already confirmed a mechanical failure. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can .

I'll try some of these steps, but I first have to get the main water pipe fixed to get water to the house and the water troughs. Thank for the information.
You're very welcome.
I have really wanted to check all these erea’s on the tractor, but had to use it unloading loads of hay, which the hydrolics to the front end loader were not very strong when used for a while. Thank you.

Thank you for the update. It would most definitely be a good idea to get all your pressures tested and verified what the actual pressures are compared to service manual specs. The results of these checks are going to help isolate a potential pump problem or a problem within your control valves, etc.

Ok, thank you.
You're very welcome.
Dan, Technician
Seemed to be good advice
Thank you for the feedback and it's a pleasure to help anyway I can.