Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Dan - you answered a previous question about my John Deer…

Customer Question
Hi Dan - you answered...
Hi Dan - you answered a previous question about my John Deer Lawn Tractor S240. Hope you can help with this one too!I had just cut my lawn with the tractor and drove it down the street a hundred yards to do my elderly neighbor's lawn. The vehicle died while driving it. Looked like I was low on gas so I filled the tank with gas. I won't start. I have gone back 2 more different days and it won't turn over. You can hear the ignition trying to start it, I stop within 5 seconds, and it just wont' turn it over. What can I try to fix? I can't think of what would cause it to stop while driving...Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! I will try my best to help!

Take some starting fluid, remove the air filter element, and spray a small amount of starting fluid into the intake, and see if the engine tries to run. If it tries and dies, the engine is not getting fuel. Is the electric fuel solenoid on the carburetor getting voltage? Is the fuel line from the tank to the filter open? You could remove the hose at the filter, and with the tank cap removed, blow into the hose, to clean any debris in the fuel tank outlet. Then reconnect everything, choke the engine until it fires, then take the choke off.

Thank you for that Curtis, some of it is over my head, but I will start from the top and try things. Anything possible to do with spark plugs possible? I was reading that the year-start kit includes new spark plugs every year. I didn't do that, but could be an easy try. Meanwhile, I will try what you have suggested to the best I can...
thank you!

It is always good practice to replace the spark plug at the start of the season, and change the fuel filter.