Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I was using my Deere 4300 with a bush hog today and I think…

I was using my...

I was using my Deere 4300 with a bush hog today and I think a tree branch knocked off the hydraulic cable at the back, PTO rear stopped working - expected?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I don't have it handy. Sorry

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried nothing yet, was end of day and stopped using it. I reconnected the coupler, but it did not work properly after that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

N

6/4/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! I will try my best to help!

Ok

So tree branch ripped loose one of the hydraulic hoses from the quick connect? So all you needed to do is reseat the coupler and check it, but it may have also knocked the PTO lever out of gear. Does the PTO lever feel like it is shifting the internal gear? Follow th linkage to the lever at the transmission housing and shift it manually after emoving the linkage if necessary.

I am not with the tractor - will have to look at it tomorrow. Is there any issue with losing pressure or liquid because the hose got uncoupled?

No, very little fluid loss, and as long as the coupler isn't damaged, no harm done.

Once that happened the pto was working for awhile but gradually stopped turning the drive shaftI was in long heavy grass so could be unrelated

It seems to be totally unrelated.

What might the issue be then? I am going out to look at the tractor this afternoon.

Take a look and see if all works, no need to give a dozen different scenarios without knowing details.

Should I be checking fluid levels?

Its always good practice to check fluid levels dily.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician