Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I put a new clutch in my 1963 Ford 3000 tractor and it

doesn't work. I installed the...
I put a new clutch in my 1963 Ford 3000 tractor and it doesn't work. I installed the clutch, drove the tractor to the wash rack and when I went to drive it back I could not engage the transmission the PTO. This tractor Has a double clutch. Depress the clutch half way and the transmission is disconnected from the engine. Depress the clutch pedal all the way and the PTO stops if it is engaged.
6/2/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! I will try my best to help!

Can you shift the transmission without grinding the gears? If engine us running and without pushing in the clutch can you shift gear without grinding? No grinding means the input shaft of the transmission is not being turned by the clutch disc.

Lots of grinding. If I start the tractor in gear I can drive it but have to kill the engine to stop it!

So no disengagement. I assume you have tried to take all the freeplay out, to see if it lets clutch release with more travel?

I reduced the free play to one inch and it didn't make any difference. I'll take the rest of it out later today and see what happens. Also, I replaced the friction with a ceramic disc friction. I installed it in the same position as the one I took out which was clearly marked with the " fly wheel side". Someone else told me the ceramic disc goes the opposite way. I never heard of that before.

As long as the disc doesn't bottom on the flywheel center bolts, disc direction is not an issue. If you put it like the old one, it should work. But you may have a throwout collar/bearing problem.

I thought about that too. When I disassembled the tractor I noticed the fork was bent out and barely catching the fingers on the sleeve. I heated them and brought them slightly closer together but didn't notice if they were damaged in any other way.

Try the freeplay adjustment, if no help, you know what has to be done!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Unfortunately I do. Thanks again

OK>Let meknow what you find.