Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

John deere 3038e won't start. I don't see the pricing

John deere 3038e won't...

John deere 3038e won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I don't see the pricing listed. can you give me the details

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Voltage is 12.6, terminals are connected tight with no corrosion. Jumped to Dodge ram 2500 just in case...no luck. tested all ignition/starter relays and fuses. All are well. Getting one click from starter if anything. Used jumper wire from solenoid to starter terminal and managed to get it to crank for first time in 2 days, but didn't give me full turn over. Tries to, but won't actually turn over the engine. I did that while jumping with cables directly from dodge to starter. Also...there is significant voltage drop at starter when trying to crank

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. i'm still curious your rates though

Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! I will try my best to help!

If jumping at the starter did not get the engine to spin, either engine is too hard to turn, battery or cable problem, or bad starter.??

Seems electrical to me. since it doesn't attempt to turn over unless I jump the starter solenoid, I'm not suspecting the starter. Does that align with your thoughts on it?There's some rapid clicking at the dash when I turn the key sometimes. Making me suspect the ignition, or something near the ignition.

I'm leaning toward the battery, how old is the battery?

Fairly old. 2013. I suspected it at first, but then connected by dodge ram 2500 (2 hefty batteries) to the tractor battery terminals and still had no luck even trying to crank. Is it still possibly the battery despite that?

Battery jumpers don't always give good connections, and trying to jump through a bad battery doesn't work. You could try the jumper direct to the starter.

I did jump direct to the starter from the dodge. negative lead to a bolt on the chassis, and positive to the big terminal on the starter. Still nothing happened until I then left those cables connected and jumped the solenoid to the starter. only then did it try to crank (but it also started to heat up and smoke after numerous attempts)

7year old battery, change it!

Can I take the battery out of the truck and swap it for the tractor battery to make sure? Auto store is a bit of a drive from here.

Certainly.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
You were right. The battery swap got it started. must be a bad cell. Thanks Curtis