Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Can the parking brake pawl be replaced in. John Deere 5420…

Customer Question
Can the parking brake...

Can the parking brake pawl be replaced in. John Deere 5420 without splitting the machine

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Parking brake pawl in John Deere 5420 tractor. Can it be replaced without splitting machine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I just verified it was broken for my neighbor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

It looks like a 30-35 hour job. Will this be correct?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
5/29/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/63806/referrer/navigation/pgId/399839046

The park pawl is back in the rear, so if there was a split it would have to be at the rear end, from all I find, the shaft with the pawl, can slip back and allow the new pawl to be installed.

You still need to split the rear axle from the transmission, correct.

I don't think so. I don't have a manual, but it looks do able.