Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My mower seems to have good power but will barely mow light…

Customer Question
My mower seems to...

My mower seems to have good power but will barely mow light grass. I have brand new mule belt idlers and brand new belts and sharp blades

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

GT2542-model. Serial #1c307g30034. DOM2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced 2 idler pulleys and both belts. I have cleaned the air filter, changed the oil and replaced both spark plus plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

It just seems gutless, but don’t know if engine problem or mower problem

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
5/5/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

This is a twin-engine, run a cylinder test, remove one spark plug wire and see f the engine will start and run, they repeat the test on the second cylinder, I think you have a cylinder not firing.

Is a 13 yr old mower that doesn’t seem to be able to mow anymore, inhav to take A half swath and it still bogs down

Scroll up to see my response1

it starts with either plug disconnectedis the pto clutch an either it works or it doesnt work affair. was wondering if it could be getting weak

Then it is firing on both cylindr=ers, so low power is being caused by something else. Is the engine losing power or is the transmission slowing? Pto electric clutch either works or it doesn't.

it does seem to oulm yhe engine down could it just be getting tired? i mow over 450hrs per seasonsorry pull the engine downi dont lise ground speed. i have to slow down to get the mower to keep mowing

If the deck turns freely and has no bad bearing, the engine may be getting tired! May be time to rebuild the engine.

was afraid of that. not sure my mind is up to that. when i bought it my dealer had a good mechanic. when he retired they didn't replace himI've got a new fuel filter but didnt want to swap it out while engine was hot. my try that tomorrow

This is Kohler engine, do you know what model? SV or CV

serial number of engine is(###) ###-#### no lettersmodel ch205

OK. CH is good, and has hydraulic valve lifters, so valves need no adjustment.

Check the fuel flow to the carburetor, and if ok, then figure the engine is in need of repair!

maybe ill just find a mechanic and take it inok. thanks

OK>